How to Spanner Nut on Whirlpool

I'm trying to remove the inner tub on my Whirlpool washer.

I've obtained a Spanner Tool, and the nut turns if I whack it with a hammer, but after a few turns, the drive that its attached to starts turning with it.

Three questions:

1) Is the spanner nut reverse threaded? 2) How do you hold the drive while turning the spanner nut? 3) Is that all I have to remove? Once the spanner nut comes out will the inner basket come out too (with significant force, as I understand), or is there more to remove first?

Thanks Eric

Reply to
Eric Robishaw

No

You shouldn't have to - the drive block should be engaged on two "lugs" on top of the basket drive tube. If the block is turning, you either have a bad brake (unlikely) or the middle of the drive block has stripped out (distinctly possible), meaning that there is nothing left to engage onto the aforementioned "lugs" I have had to hacksaw the nut off on occasion in those circumstances.

You should be able to pull the basket out once the nut is off. It may require considerable effort depending on how long it's been there. I'm assuming you have removed the cabinet and the tub ring (sometimes referred to as tub cover).

Reply to
Mad Mac

hey you are lucky, i did not have a spanner wrench and just had to keep hitting the chisel with a hammer all the way around to get the nut off... just hold the tub and that should stop the nut and shaft from turning....i think it come off like most other (right hand thread nuts).

Reply to
jim

Well... I got it off...with a hacksaw and a drill. I got a little carried away with the drill and damaged the drive block. Guess I'll need a new one of those.

Here's a few more questions for you:

1) The inner Tub has a semi-clear plastic ring over it (not the tub ring...but the one attached to the inner tub itself). It's about 1/4 full of water, and I see no place for it to either drain out, or go in. There's a "screw" looking thing on the top, with the words "non-removable plug" next to it.

Is this a design, or defect? I could see it being a balance, if its intentional. If not, how do I get the water out, and prevent it from going back in again?

2) Also, what's the use for the plate filter at the bottom of the inner tub. Mine was disgusting...is that the purpose...just to catch all the dreggs?

3) My outer tub had about 1/4 inch water at the bottom. Is this typical? Or should ALL the water be drained from it during the spin cycle? It wasn't enough water to let any water touch the inner basket.

4) Finally, when taking out the tub, I scratched the top of the inner tub a bit, below the Spanner bolt. There's a little exposed metal. Should I paint that with anything?

Thanks Eric

Reply to
Eric Robishaw

That happens occassionally, they're not usually that expensive.

That is the way it was designed, it is the "balance ring".

That is the "self cleaning filter" which never lived up to the marketing name Whirlpool gave it. It is now removed, discarded and replaced with smaller filter thingys as seen at the following link:

I believe most of the water should have been drained. Check the internal hoses and pump for clogs or kinks.

Yes or it will start to rust. Just about any appliance touch-up should do. It usually comes in 1/2 oz. bottles with a brush in the lid like fingernail polish.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Some models (the older portables for one) *did* use a left hand threaded tub drive block and nut. We used to stock them because occasionally technicians or customers didn't realize it and ended up ruining it in the attempt of removal.

JFYI

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Hi,

drive style

drive style

Balance ring for off-balance loads...this helps to keep the baskets balanced with the water going to the side that is needed during the spin mode.

It is sealed, if damaged it must be replaced.

Lint filter, suppose ot collect lint and then release the lint down the drain during a pump/spin out.

Normal, primed pump is always full of water even if no more is comming out of the washer.

Some rust spray paint should be fine.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Learn something every day, Dan - I've never run into one of those.

A JFYI back at you...re the 1/4" of water in the bottonm of the tub, I believe it's a plumbing code requirement, similar to a "U-Bend" in sinks/toilets.

Reply to
Mad Mac

Actually I misphrased that. It should have said older "compact" washers (which use the serpentine belt set up) which might be portable or not.

Good to know, When I was doing service I was more specialized in refrigeration and cooking appliances service than laundry products although it would do dryers as they are (or at least were) fairly simple things to work on.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to