How to remove butyl caulk?

My screen pool enclosure was ripped off by Hurricane Wilma last year. The 2x2 extrusions were screwed to the T-111 siding and caulked on both sides with a large bead of butyl. I need to get this caulking off before I paint the house and attach my new fence. Any easier solutions, besides scraping and gouging the siding?