How to Properly Dig Up a Swimming Pool?

We have an old small swimming pool in our back yard. It's starting to fall apart with tiles coming loose, etc.
We're thinking of digging up the pool, since hardly anyone uses it.
I'm trying to find out the proper way to do that.
One person said to: 1. Drain the pool 2. Open up the bottom 3. Fill with a clean fill (no garbage)
They also said to have several large holes in the bottom to let rain water drain through.
My questions are: What is the best way to break up the tiles, etc.? What is the best way to dispose of this stuff? Will the local landfill take it? Where do I find a clean fill?
I heard one company charges about $4,000 to breakup a pool. Maybe that's a fair price...?
Thanks.
Why do you have to remove it? Why don't use just take out around 18" from the top dump it in the pool and then fill with more clean fill. I would punch holes in the bottom for drainage.
I am assuming that its a concrete pool.

cliff has given the easy way.
drain pool.
cut several holes through bottom of pool to allow drainage and ground water flow.
remove 18" to 2' of the wall from the top.
add clean fill and 18" - 2 ' of topsoil.

You will need a jackhammer (can rent an electric one from HD) or a heavy duty breaker bar, a decent sledge hammer and a tireless worker.
Most pools also have rebar in the cement, you may also need something to cut it if you are demolishing the top edge. A diamond blade dry saw or bigass bolt cutters would be helpful. A hammer drill might help as well.
Removal of debris is not nessary if you use it as some of the clean fill but if you are trying to completely remove the pool, you will need to rent a rock box (dumpster for rocks and dirt only). The dumpster company can help you decide how big.
Thanks for all of the tips.
If we decide to rip it out, we'll probably get some bids and use a professional.
It'll cost some buck$, but what the hey...

This bigass stuff. Do you mean oxygen and acetylene?

I used an electric jackhammer once. It was very easy to go through the cement or ?concrrete? sidewalk. The hard part was lifting the thing up each time. I'm 5'8" and though the thing seemed small, to lift it up and out the handles had to be almost shoulder high. I was tired in about 3 minutes. (I'm not in the best shape, but had I been in average shape, I think I could have only lasted 6 to 15 minutes.
I don't think a shorter one, if there are any, would have been much easier. Maybe.
So the OP should plan maybe only a few holes (which ought to be enough) or to rest for a while and go at it again. Would be great exercise on muscles that may not get much exercise for someone 13 to 30.

Home improvement has obviated any need for me to join a health club.
Last summer I demo'd 150 SF of 3" thick concrete patio (no rebar) with a sledge hammer and breaker bar then carted all 6 yards out the driveway and stacked it in the dumpster by hand. I was feeling pretty buff after that but a few months later, I've shrunk back to normal. But not after I hauled in the same amount of concrete pavers and installed them.

I believe it.
I have a project planned for this summer, and I really should have started training and losing weight in January. Well, if I contract parts of it out, the rest I won't have to rush through, so I can use that for training.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=removing+a+swimming+pool&qt_s=Search
: We have an old small swimming pool in our back yard. : It's starting to fall apart with tiles coming loose, etc. : : We're thinking of digging up the pool, since hardly anyone : uses it. : : I'm trying to find out the proper way to do that. : : One person said to: : 1. Drain the pool : 2. Open up the bottom : 3. Fill with a clean fill (no garbage) : : They also said to have several large holes in the bottom to let rain : water drain through. : : My questions are: : What is the best way to break up the tiles, etc.? : What is the best way to dispose of this stuff? Will the local landfill : take it? : Where do I find a clean fill? : : I heard one company charges about $4,000 to breakup a pool. : Maybe that's a fair price...? : : Thanks. : $2,000 took out my 16' x 32' inground in NY. Nine foot depth at deep end, surrounded by cement walkway for board & slide. Jackhammer on backhoe, small dozer, they brought in fill, added topsoil, levelled & tamped & I planted grass. Took 3 days to wreck & fill it, they let it set for the winter, came back in spring and added the top soil & I seeded it. Done. Oh, and I got to dump a bunch of non-toxic stuff in the deep end hole. They were able to work right thru the ground-water without having to even pump it out.
Price sounds expensive but I'm sure it varies by area.
HTH, Pop

$2,000 to have that done sounds like a good deal to me.
Steve

Access will have a big impact on price. If they can drive right up with heavy equipment it is easy for them but if it is behind a house with limited access and has to be done with smaller tools you will pay much more.
And....don't forget to tell your tax commissioner that your pool is gone as most places tax pools. ;O)
SanDiegoGuy wrote:

Check local codes.
Do what they tell you.
Steve
too bad. pools visually bring so much enjoyment even when used with night lighting. try water cooled air conditioner heat load balancing for the home. even if you shallow it to a safe depth it could stiill make a great reflecting pool/koi pond. if you do continue to think about filling the area explore all geothermal options for energy first, others in your area are paying to dig holes in their yards and you've already got one. consider house swapping. consider repairing the pool and selling.