How to polish brass?

Hi - We have a couple of bright brass finished light fixtures outside - They are starting to show some corrosion. What can I use to polish them that won't take off the laquer finish? Thanks- Brian
Brasso
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 01:04:33 GMT, "Brian Morgan"

Automobile cleaner/wax. Brasso recommended by someone else will take off the protective coating.
Tom J

They
the
clean them off with a fine wire brush and Brasso, then reapply a clear metal finish like spray Gloss Polyurethane. Car wax will not protect bare metals, they only help make the finish shine.
Evan

It's strange that you say car wax won't protect metals. I have 2 solid brass lamps in my bedroom made from highly polished parts that have no sealer on them. I put wax on them when I finished assembling them 5 years ago and they still shine like new. It would take regular upkeep outside, but it does work.
Tom J

outside -

that
off
failed,
metal
metals,
brass
they
work.
They are also sitting inside on a shelf, not outside in the elements. I f you read they wanted to preserve the original finish, which means they don't want to be outside once a week waxing the lamps. I didn't say it wouldn't work though, I said "Car wax will not protect bare metals", and in this statement I was implying from being exposed to the outdoors constantly. Wax is a very poor finish for metal or wood.