how to place fireplace in bedroom?

I am frameing a gas fireplace im a masterbedroom which will have a flatscreen over it with a small mantle. I am going to use cultured stone to finish the face of the wall. the wall is about 6 feet wide and is 8' tall.
How do I go about figuring what would look good in proportions? ie how do I determine the height of the fireplace and placing of mantle and tv to look good? Are there any standard guidelines that builders use?
TIA
Gary wrote:

The first thing I would be concerned with is: at what height will the tv be comfortable for watching? Function over form is what matters in that regard.
I pretended I was in the "bed" and was watching TV. It is directly across from the bed and because the fireplace/TV will be so far from the foot of the bed ~ 6', any height on the TV will be comfortable.
Which is in contrast to what I have now, a 21" TV on a 5' bureau 1' away from the foot of the bed. That hurts the neck muscles!! LOL

Gary wrote:

There ya go; you know it'll work.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

A plasma wouldn't like it either. We took this into account when we did our MBR addition.
JK
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:46:56 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Dead ON! No reason to place a fancy HDTV above a fire place. The OP should google this.
Good point. Oren --

I get asked this one a lot. There is no industry study for placing a TV over a fireplace. A vented fireplace will put out less heat over the mantle (vent free not allowed in bedroom anyway, unless under 10,000 BTU). I have never hear of a failure and I know of a lot done that way. If possible, I suggest recessing the TV so the front is even with the wall, it will receive less heat than if in front of the wall.
--
John Galbreath Jr.
www.FireLogs.com

Ask a certified person....!
Visit a home theater group and the answers will be NO, not above a fire place.
Oren --
Oh, and the fireplace is 36" wide and 31" high.

Check the specs on your gas fireplace - there are some minimum clearances that you need around and above it, perhaps 12 inches or so. You will have to factor that in, with the size of the fireplace itself, and the size if the size of the mantle. Bottom line is that the top of your mantle is likely to be around 40 inches or more above the floor.

you put an lcd monitor video fireplace in the fireplace. you add 250 watt red brooder heat bulbs for skin warmth. and put the plasma or whatever flat tv over the mantle. otherwise or in addition, the bedside end tables or foot of the bed might get the combo monitors that can be used as a tv with tuner and a computer monitor by LG. try this measurement: the distant tv must fill a diagonal field of view not less than [9"] as measured by your extended arm holding a ruler. [the 9" is a suggestion, you pick the field of view you like.] it's surprising how small any wall mounted tv's get at a distance, so reconsider and bring a pair of them in closer for twice the channels to watch. enjoy some headphone and sleep timer features. look at this calculation for 7" times the distance in feet equals your desired diagonal in inches, see: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/tv-buying-guide1.htm and technology and room darkness play a choice, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_display_technology