How to meet the California law requiring carbon monoxide detectors in (almost) every home by July 1st 2011

It is harder for idiots to kill themselves via car crashes these days, but it certainly flies in the face of nature's rule of survival of the fittest unless you apply it to cars, as in the cars that kill the fewest occupants probably sell better.

Whatever the reason, it's a principle that marketing people rely on to sell all sorts of preventative measures, products and medications.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I'd pay all I had. On the other hand, to save your spouse, or the guy who lives on Elm Street, in the last house on the right in Bumfuck, Idaho, I'd pay nothing.

It is really, really foolish to make public policy based on a particular, unique, circumstance.

For the $9 million to save one life, we could test EVERY newborn black child in the country for Sickle-Cell Anemia. We could put CO detector is EVERY elementary school classroom in the state, and so on.

I'm not saying CO detection is fundamentally flawed; I'm saying that for that much money there are hundreds of projects where one could get a bigger bang for the buck.

Reply to
HeyBub

then it isn't broken but used. and once used it is clearly beyond the pale of the automobile company

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

we already have that: it's called a recession

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

here one could get a bigger bang for the buck.

Reply to
DD_BobK

I heard it from the news (as shown in the cites prior).

Basically, it's all single-family homes. Old or new. There are extremely few single-family homes that don't have gas appliances or an attached garage, or a fireplace.

IIRC, it's (currently) a $200 fix-it fine; but as in all things government, that will go up sharply when they realize how much money they can make (especially during the yearly scheduled California budget crisis) simply by inspecting homes and levying the fines.

Reply to
mmendozabn