I'm buying an old house and want to get the floors sanded & finished
before I move furniture in. The floor is wavy in a few places, I
think because the posts in the basement are too long. If it's cheap
enough I'd like to have the floor leveled, which I imagine requires
new supports in the basement. The basement floor is dirt, so concrete
footings need to be poured. I'd like to pour the whole
basement/crawlspace anyway (eventually).
I'm trying to figure out how much each job will cost, how long it will
take, and a reasonable order of repairs. Then figure out what I can
afford to do now and what gets put off a year or two.
1) Is it crazy to finish the floors before leveling them? When I
finally level the floors will I need to finish them again?
2) Is it OK to pour footings for support columns and do the rest of
the basement later?
3) The furnace and hot water heater are on individual concrete slabs.
When I pour the basement should these be replaced? How long will I be
without hot water while this is being fixed?
4) Rough idea of cost?
- finish floors (~650 sqft)
- level floors (1" high waves in one room in a few places)
- pour concrete basement/crawlspace floor (900 sqft?)