how to level a long chalkline?

Page 2 of 3
ben wrote:

Measure down the same distance from the fascia or top of siding (it might not be level but will look level compared to other lines of the house). Tack the chalkline at that measured point. Check with bubble level to see how the line lays. Snap.

Use a rotating laser like ceiling hangers use.

Not very accurate, and probably not visible outdoors....
ben wrote:

A laser level.

See my response to Harry K regarding laser levels...
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 01:16:58 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,

http://www.diyinfo.org/wiki/How_To_Build_A_Simple_But_Effective_Water_Level
--

Don\'t worry about people stealing an idea. If it\'s original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.

Water level or laser. Laser is simple. Water level will get it close as a gnat's whisker. Water level is cheaper, and you will use it on a lot of more projects. Easy to master, simple in principle. A good laser is also good, but you have to spend $$$ for a good one.
Steve

I have a small 'line level' that simply hooks into the center of the chalk line. With one end firmly attached, the other end of the line can be raised or lowered incrementally until level. Only takes minutes, seems perfectly accurate and IIRC it cost about $5 or so at local lumber yard, hardware store or Ace, maybe. First time I saw one being used was a siding installation crew. Ought to work for you.
Joe

The trick with a line level is to level the 2 end points over a long distance, then remove the level and pull the chalkline taut between the 2 points before snapping.
Over 27' feet, the level is going to bow the line downward significantly, so the only 2 level points along the line will be at the very ends.
On 6/16/2009 10:12 AM DerbyDad03 spake thus:

Yes.
27 feet feet?
Sorry, couldn't resist. Always amuses me when I see constructs like "$27 million dollars".
Brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department.

It was a typo, not a "construct".
I'll try to live up to your standards next time.
On 6/16/2009 10:34 AM DerbyDad03 spake thus:

OK.
Then what will we do for amusement?

Your posts? <g>

Over any distance at all, the line level weighs enough to sag the line substantially -- which means that it won't give an accurate reading unless you have it in the *exact center* of the line.

Saw this the other day. Made with aviation materials.
Short video:
http://www.chhanson.com/layoutLevel.html
"Stop squinting at the bubble"

re: "Made with aviation materials."
Really? Where did you get that from?
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:43:57 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

From the link. Aviation technology is mentioned.
Might be something from war planes and instruments panels
Maybe even NASA, but I looked. Take a gander.

re: "Take a gander"
I did. That's why I asked "Where did you that from?"
Go back, take another gander yourself and then come back and tell us what he *really* said.
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 20:44:23 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I stand corrected. It was "inspired" by Aviation technology and not made from actual Aviation instruments. Thanks for the correction.

Get a 6 foot level and a pencil...It's not rocket science...Gesh....