How to kill hornets - special situation

Page 1 of 2
I have a set of three wooden steps resting on concrete outside a door. The structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks where hornets can get in and out.
I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access. I can stick a tube into the interior through a crack
At night, I tried pouring a small amount (all I happened to have) of ammonia through the tube into the interior yo see if the fumes would kill them or drive them out. It didn't happen.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'd use spray made to kill them. It works.
And how, given the situation can one get the spray into the area of the nest??

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 23:54:33 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

just shoot through the cracks.
One cannot stand on the steps or even get too near them without being mass attacked as per the painful experience of two family members. I am afraid to drill a hole.
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 23:58:38 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You got the ammonia in, now put the insecticide in the same way. Seems rather simple. Do it at night.

*Sevin* powder.
Does the powder neet to be sprayed on the nest? If so, I cannot do it because I do not have access to the nest. It is inside the enclosed stair structure.

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 22:53:26 -0500, Bert Byfield

Bert Byfield wrote:

accessible because the bugs contact the dust when they enter and leave the nest. One of the "long range" hornet/wasp sprays might also work, depending on how large the nest. Use after dark, when they are less active. I would avoid the area, including mowing grass nearby, until they are gone.

And here's how to disperse it:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.humor . best-of-usenet/browse_thread/thread/31053844a12578b2/98382ad748cbceb7
On Jun 24, 11:46pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Got picture/s?
I'm guessing a ground nest, under/behind the concrete. Those jobs can be a real bitch, w/o wooden steps.
Generally speaking, if you can't get to them, you start thinking about sealing them in.
You can try removing the wood, slowly and gently, at night. Hornets, IME, can be somewhat difficult to get to respond if you're not in their face. The entrance to the nest is probably some distance from the steps.
I'm guessing there's a door right there, and they'll make plenty of noise giving you fair warning to get out of the way. -----
- gpsman
gpsman wrote:

The supply houses for the trades sell wasp and hornet spray that will shoot a stream 20 feet. It works! Blast it through the cracks.
http://tinyurl.com/kk7kq9
TDD
Since I cannot direct the spray onto the nest, they will come out other cracks and get me!
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 23:25:13 -0500, The Daring Dufas

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: > On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 23:25:13 -0500, The Daring Dufas

other > cracks and get me!
I use the stuff all the time when those beasties are nesting in the cracks under eaves and such. It knocks them right out. As soon as they buzz out, they hit the ground. You can stand back ten to twenty feet away and hit them.
TDD
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 00:30:25 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

They won't if you wait after sundown, they don't fly in the dark. The hornet spray kills on contact.

Sevin dust doesnt make them angry at all. I have dusted it directly on them.
Jimme

Be sure to get a good spray. There are some cheaper brands on the market that don't knock them down for 5-10 seconds, and that is plenty of time for them to nail you. Spectracide Pro will drop them instantly. Spectracide makes a cheaper spray that takes about five seconds to bring them down. When you have 100 mad yellow jackets coming at you, that will be the longest five seconds of your life!
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

this happen. The spray knocks them down and loose ones ignore me. Same for an aqueous stream out of a tank sprayer. Perhaps they think it is raining since they ignore me there too.
Thanks for a thoughtful reply. I believe the nest must be right under a step because I do not believe there are any cracks in the concrete below the steps where they could get in.
I will take pictures in the morning, place them on a web site, and post a reply here with a link.