How to keep PVC cement from drying?

I work with PVC irrigation pipes, small jobs at a time.
Every time I try to use a previously opened can of cement, it has glued itself shut beyond redemption.
I am careful not to get cement on the rim of the can, but it takes very little to permanently glue the can shut.
I am sure I am not the only one who has this problem. How do you guys cope with it?
--

Walter
www.rationality.net
Walter R. wrote:

I use a 'channel lock' type pliers or a pipe wrench to get the can open. .. Be careful not to bend or deform the lid/can. If it starts to deform stop and turn the can a little and try again... Try several different spots until it opens.
My problem is I usually spill most of the can on the ground before it has a chance to dry out in the can....
Also don't let the can sit in the hot sun open or closed.
Kevin

*Me too.
"John Grabowski" wrote:

*Me three.
Jon

A little Vaseline on the thread might work for you.
I always use this on tubes of glue and it has saved me a lot of frustration.
Hope this helps you.
Lewis.
*****

I use DC4 dielectric grease mostly because I always have a tube handy for light bulbs. It only takes a tiny bit.
Jimmie
My boss used to buy the 16 ounce cans. Cement, primer, Rectorseal, and so on. Finally I noticed that Home Depot and some of the chains have the product in 8 or 4 ounce cans. I started to buy the smaller cans, and much of the problem was resolved.
It's also possible to slip in a couple smaller cans, in the space of one larger can, and more conveniently also.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Like others here, I use a pair of channel-lock pliers to remove stubborn lids.
However, unless you are working on a large project, it's better to buy a few small cans instead of one large one. Once you open the can air gets in and the cement will gel over time and be worthless the next time you need it. With small cans you'll always have a fresh unopened can ready for your next small project.
Anthony

Try a strap (?) wrench.
Walter R. wrote:

If your channel locks won't open it, I bet heating the lid with boiling water would get it loose. Storing the can upside down might keep it from solidifying at the lid. It works for paint.

I always close the can very tightly with a pipe wrench. When it starts to get too thick I add a little MEK and let it set for a day or so.

I guess there is no miracle cure. Back to small cans and channel lock pliers. Thanks guys.
--

Walter
www.rationality.net

a layer of plastic wrap between the can and lid works for most screw caps.
Don Young

What are you using? I use the Oakley primer and PVC glue. These metal cans seal tightly and have a brush mounted in the cap. Lasts many years, never had an issue.