How to inflate a wheelbarrow tire?

Page 2 of 2
m Ransley wrote:

I saw the same thing! I was going to respond, but you beat me to it. :-P --Mike

Get a tool, and remove the stem from the air valve, and try again.
Opening up the valve allows enough air to get into the tire to inflate it so that it seats against the bead on the rim.
Once the tire is reseated on the bead, then re-install the valve stem, and pressurize the tire.

Clean it as good as you can, getting the dirt off the tire and rim. Wet it with a water solution containing a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid.
The next step can be a one man or a two man operation. Make a loop to go around the center of the rubber of the tire. Make it a little bigger so that you can insert a stick and turn it like a tourniquet. If you are a good rigger, you know how to do this with a rope and some loops. If you have one of those one inch ratcheting straps, that will work fine, too. If you have a chuck that will clamp on, that is good. Otherwise, you will have to hold the chuck on the stem. Get everything ready. Turn the tourniquet, or come down on whatever clamp you have. The beads of the tire will go out to the rim. You may have to push and pull a bit. Insert air into the stem, and keep it coming. Once all of the surfaces make contact at the same time, it will start to hold air.
I personally like the solid tires for wheelbarrows. In some cold places, they use starter or lighter fluid, and set the wheel on the ground. Some spray, and an ignition source, and there is a mini explosion inside the tire that forces the sides up onto the bead. I have seen it done, and it is pretty neat.
Good luck.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

You left out one step. Take the core out of the valve stem so it can take a *lot* higher volume of air. Don't forget to put the valve core back when you get the tire bead seated. ;-)
You can also put a tube in a tubeless tire -- maybe not for highway speeds, but it's OK for a wheelbarrow.
Bob

tie a strong cord around the tire,centered it and used a twist stick to tighten the cord enough to force the tire tight enough to the rim to seal it enough so that it would start to inflate using my electric tire inflator. Good luck!!
have someone hold the tire tight so that it is sealed against the wheel and hit it with compressed air until full. I just did this 2 days ago for my neighbor... first time i've seen it done.
Batman wrote:

I tightened a piece of webbing around it, and put some air in. It was that easy. Thanks all.
I just got sick and tired of finding the tire flat, so I bought a foam filled solid tire at Home Depot, and slipped it on the old axle.. Works like a champ.
Next time you take you car in for an oil change (at a real garage, not one of those quick lub change places) ask the grease monkey to remount the tire for you.

You sound like the kind of guy who is good at blowing. Pretend that tire is your gay boyfriends cock, and blow real hard.

Wrap a rope or a belt around the tire, longways, and cinch it tight.. this ought to force the bead out until it seals against the wheel-rim, at which point you can inflate it part way, then take the rope off, and finish.
--Goedjn
snipped-for-privacy@uri.edu wrote:

And if it doesn't, go to your nearest tire store and get a tube installed. Then you won't have the problem again.
Don