How to have a lamp turn on when inside temp drops below sixty.

Page 1 of 3

I'm a snowbird and worry about a furnace failure while I'm away. I've heard that there is a temperature sensing switch that will turn on a lamp if the house gets too cold. I'd like to set a lamp in the front window so my neighbor can check the place as he drives by without coming inside. Does such a switch exist? Who sells it? Thanks in advance.
Jim Sherman wrote:

Just buy a 120 volt thermostat like this one:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
and wire it in series with the lamp.
Course if the cause of no heat is a power failure, then you're not in very good shape, are you.
For a little more money you can buy low temperature alarms which will dial a phone number, maybe your heating contractor, and deliver a message.
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Anyone have suggestions for these?
What is out there today that does this both for the phone line, cell phone and the Internet?
Thanks
TMT
Anyone have suggestions for these?
What is out there today that does this both for the phone line, cell phone and the Internet?
Thanks
TMT

a monmitored security system would detect break ins and freezing temps etc. you can give them contact list......... of what to do when.....

And if the bulb burns out or power is out or the neighbor doesnt "see" it or he wants to go to sleep, I use a freeze alarm that calls me if temp gets near 45, battery operated.
One of my relatives just installed this one from Home Depot: http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/%28btosahytpm3fj345kl24lbmt%29/ProductDetails.aspx?SKUF433 He plugged some sort of strobe light into it so that the neighbors are sure to see it. He said it worked fine except that it went off once (while he happened to be in the house) - apparently the result of plugging it into an outlet on an outside wall, which made the unit too cold. So he plugged it into an interior wall and ran an extension cord.
I was going to get one for the house I've been trying to sell, but as of 1PM today it became no longer my problem, hurray.
Jim Sherman wrote:

Jim Sherman wrote:

be easy enough to make one using an old thermostat, an ice cube relay, and some basic home electrical type stuff. Or just use a line voltage thermostat.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

There used to be plug-in thermostats to control non-thermostat controlled electric heaters. Don't know if or where they are available today

I think it can be done with X10 although that would be a serious mistake given X10 open loop structure. I personally wouldn't trust a nightlight to X10.

Found it. Ductstat from AprilAire or Suncourt - model DS100, or LUX Win100. Also Thermocube (non adjustable)
On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 22:06:44 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

-snip-
They are pretty & all- but can't you do the same thing with a $10 line voltage thermostat?
Jim

I can. Mabee you can. Can the OP? If he does it wrong and causes a fire? or a shock?
The ones I referenced are both UL and CSA approved.
What happens if the bulb burns out and the neighbor thinks everything is OK, but it's not.

Better to have a lamp that goes OUT when it gets cold.
Lamp that helps keep the house warm? Though, it's a valid point. If the lamp goes out when it's cold, does a tree fall in the woods?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Not to keep the house warm - but as a FAIOLSAFE indicator. If the light is ON, there is both heat and power. If the light is off, either the heat or the power is out, OR the bulb has failed.
It can give a false error indication, but is pretty well impossible to produce a false "OK"
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Looks like the low temp stops at 40F. Would be nice to have something like this to go down to 30F for a freeze prevention application.

set heat to 50, if it gets down to 40 you have a problem, and some time to respond.......