How to Hang large extension ladder on Garage Wall?

Page 2 of 2
I have two of these hooks and they work fine in my garage. Ladder is 20'+. If you're still worried i'd use this before the shelf bracket.
Find your (wood) studs and your 100% fine.
Using the closet or shelf brackets might bend or let you ladder slip off the hooks and onto your car. YA YA you can modify them but why not use the Ladder hooks you found... that's what they were ment to be used on.
If i'm not mistaken, the black ones are a little foamy compared to the rubber ones. Some might be a bigger shank or thread. look for the SWL (safe working load).

re: shelf brackets might bend
Might, but it hasn't happened in the 20+ years that my 2 heavy duty shelf brackets have been holding my 28' ladder, first in the garage and now under the deck. I guess they *could* suddenly bend at any moment, but I seriously doubt it.
re: or let you (sic) ladder slip off the hooks
Yes, if your house tilted. How else is it going to slip off?