How to handle the roofing ridge between doing each side during a long spanned project

I am doing a roofing job on my home over the course of a summer or well maybe a year if winter comes early here in Wisconsin. The shingles along the top I call the ridge shingles. I can cut three from a three-tab shingle or buy them ready-made. What would you suggest for that area if I can't get to the roof right away on the other side or the ridge? Also with all the different sections some share that ridge so its like all or nothing needs to be done within days, I know I do not have that much consecutive time and with weather this is going to be a weekend project. Other than tarping that unfinished ridge. My question is if I make or buy pre made ridge shingles might I be ok to nail the undone side down and then pry it up to shingle up under it when I finally get to that side? Or should I buy mineral sheet roofing and cut and use that temporarily as my ridge protection and try to reuse it if it will come up ok on those parts of the roof till the whole job is completed? My thinking is each time I pull the temporary ridge rolled sheet roofing is that I can cut the area that I nailed at the end if it tares or does not come up clean and just shorten it each time I reuse it. I know this rolled roofing would give me a much longer run between nails on the ridge do you think rain or wind might be a factor in that length no seal tabbed lineal run along the roof. I hate to buy or cut ridge shingles as temps only to have to pull them and trash them if they do not come up clean between the total completion of both sides of the roof between the ridge.

Reply to
DJW

When you get to the ridge on whatever side you are working on, the last row of shingles should go up and over the ridge. This will give you most of the weatherproofing that you need. In most cases, the ridge cap (the proper term for the ridge shingles as you call them) is more decorative than functional. The shingles themselves should do the weatherproofing and the cap is just additional insurance.

When we have to do what you are doing, we run the side we are working on up and over the ridge. We pull the last top row of shingles off the other side and then lay felt over the ridge before putting on the last (top row) of shingles on the side you are working on. When you fold them over the ridge and nail them down, you are effectively waterproofed and you don't have to worry about placeing cap and taking it back up.

Reply to
Robert Allison

If you're using Ice & Water Shield at the eaves, use a 12" strip of it wrapped over the ridge and nailed/stapled in place.

RicodJour