How to fasten gas tank to lawn mower

One of the two ears that attaches the gas tank to the Tecumseh engine of my Toro mower broke. The top photo shows the break, just to the left of the gas filler cap.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/3921472990 /
I'm looking for ideas on how to secure the tank to the mower. (A replacement costs about $18, plus $10 or so shipping.)
The length around the gas tank to the front just above the spark plug and back to the gas tank is about 42 inches. At first I used three loops of electrician's tape. It held okay, but it stretches so the tank is once again loose on one side. I was thinking of some kind of band, like Velcro, 3/4" wide, or some kind of ratcheting tiedown so I can secure the tank close to the body. Or maybe a hose clamp like used under auto hoods, but with a band 42 inches long. (Maybe a plumbing supply house has such an item.)
No need to worry about contact with hot surfaces.
Thanks,
Ray
Ray K wrote:

It's not clear to me whether the metal or the plastic broke. If the metal, it should be an easy fix with welding or rivits. If the plastic, probably the easiest fix is to pick up a freebie mower with the same tank and swap parts. Lots of those out there.
Bob F wrote:

It's the plastic tab on the gas tank. If the metal, it

Good idea; I'll watch for one.
Ray

I just got rid of one yesterday,... but supposedly they are going to fix it, so I couldn't have given it to you, even though I gave the whole mower to them.

My first thought is to put a couple of #6 three-quarter inch pan-head wood screws into what's left of the tank's hanger. You'd screw them in just far enough apart, and in just the right position, to grab the sides of the clamp on the metal engine cover.
It should be OK if the screws go all the way through the tank. They will be so tight it's unlikely anything will leak.
--
Tegger

I would take a piece of heavy iron/steel wire and bend it into a squared-off U shape. One end to go into the tank where the reinforced area is. THe otherr end to go into the motor mount area. Drill a slightly undersized hole in the tank and the engine mount and wire the tank in place. THen bend the to ends of the U toward each other to hold them in [place. Some gasoline resistant caulk where the wire goes thru the gas tak support area should keep gasokline from dripping/leraking out the tio op of the tank.
Ray K wrote:
Thanks, Bob, Tegger and hr, for the three very good ideas. I'll experiment tomorrow.
Here are two closeups:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/3921815218 / http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/3921032797 /
Ray
Ray K wrote:

Another suggestion. Get some very heavy aluminum duct tape. The adhesive is very strong. Clean both surfaces with acetone or similar, and tape it on with a couple layers.
Bob F wrote:

I should have thought of that, especially since I have a roll in the attic. I cut a length long enough to go around everything, then slit it into thirds, each about 3/4" wide. I propped the tank on wood blocks, then wrapped it three times. Here are the results:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/3923322622 / http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/3923322554 /
Next week after a hour of lawn-cutting, we'll see how well it holds up to vibration. If it doesn't, Joe's excellent idea for the daisy-chaining zip ties is next.
Thanks to all.
Ray

one of the other ideas might be a fix that hangs in there for a while. MLD
Best wishes, and hope that works well for you. I'm predicting the glue to dry out in about five years, and you'll have to do it again.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Watch it, we're bordering on Red Neck Lawn Mower territory here!
Have to get your Redneck Card, and prove that you're worthy.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

More closer to Red Green methinks... :)
Ray K wrote:

rivets or self-tapping screws should fix you right up. You could even add an L bracket to the strapping on the backside of the tank, to hold it up vertically, so that one horizontal strap would be all that was needed. Not a lot of weight there. Think oblong drink holder.
-- aem sends....
Ray K wrote:

Daisy chain some zip ties together so they are long enough to reach around the tank and the hole that the tank ear went into. Make another parallel set too, if you want, and pull each of them securely.
Jon
My Dad had a similar thing. He made a piece of wood to fit under the tank. Screwed through the deck into the wood, and then strapped the tank to the wood. No law says the tank has to mount to the motor cover.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Ray K wrote:

I have a tank that looks VERY similar to the one in the pic. Send me the distance between the brackets and I'll measure mine. Also, which side the hose hooks to. You can contact me at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com. I don't knwo what it would cost to ship it, but I would need $5 plus shipping if it fits. The tank is is great shape.
Hank