how to disable door lock

How do I prevent the bathroom door lock from being "accidentally" locked from the inside?
It is a Weslock with a cylindrical button on the inside next to the doorknob. A previous owner drilled a quarter inch hole on the outside opposite the button and I can see the butt end of the button through the hole. From the inside I can turn the button a half turn and it can easily be wiggled a lot, so is quite loose. I cannot get it to lock when I try, but sometimes when exiting and closing the door behind me I later find I cannot turn the doorknob and am effectively locked out. I think the think is broken because I cannot get it to lock, but that is OK as long as I can permanently keep it from "mysteriously" locking. Obviously, I can just put a new one in, but if there is an easy way to disable the locking mechanism that would be preferred.
Bill
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 11:50:03 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Swap it out with a non-locking passage set.

With a Philips screwdriver, remove the two screw (one on either side of the knob). Slide the knobs apart. On the edge side of the door, remove the two screws and remove the latch assembly. Take all the parts you disassembled and toss in the garbage. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and for a few bucks buy a new bathroom door knob assembly.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If you're really too cheap to spend a few bucks for a new lockset, just put three layers of duct tape over the hole in the strike plate.
For a more professional look you could fill the hole in the strike plate with Bondo.
(Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer....)
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Oops, typo. Shoulda read:
four layers of duct tape...
On Oct 11, 2:47 pm, snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

But if he's too cheap to buy duct tape?
Harry K

Does he own a hammer?
_OR_ just remove the door.

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:49:17 -0400, Jeff Wisnia

Nah, three layers of duct tape costs too much. One piece over the latch on the door should work.
The Bondo approach works. A previous owner used it on my bathroom doorway. Looks luckin fuvely.
the bathroom door lock knob on the door exterior has a small whole that allows a stiff rod to be inserted into.pushing in on the rod will release the lock.this is a safety feature.

Weslocks aren't designed to be modified. I'd suggest a different brand of privacy knob. Kwikset comes to mind.
--

Christopher A. Young
.