How to complain to the FTC and/or FCC about deceptive advertising

Page 7 of 11
On Tue, 8 Apr 2014 10:47:25 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

Mobile phones have much less storage than advertised, according to consumer watchdogs. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/9905584/Which-warns-over-mobile-phone-memory.html
A Which? study found that mobile phones claiming to provide 16GB of data storage actually had memory as low as 9GB.
"The problem is that manufacturers aren't making people aware of how much space they're really getting when they buy the phone. And it's a bit of a lottery.”
Mr Boland urged manufacturers to be more honest so that consumers can make better choices. The actual storage is sometimes in the small print but may be hard to find.
"Ultimately, it's not fair. You aren't getting the space you expected and you have no easy way of knowing how much you will actually get from phone to phone."
Do you think mobile phone companies should be more honest about storage?
On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 08:41:13 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

The only way to know the answer is to get out a calculator and add up the scores of apps that take up the free space since most (but not all) Android operating system versions don't tell the true story on how much memory is actually in the phone in the first place.
Gory details here: How do we get Android to spit out the true memory & storage https://groups.google.com/forum /#!topic/comp.mobile.android/e6svmGS1M-E[1-25-false]
On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:59:25 PM UTC-4, Danny DiAmico wrote:

So you claim.

As if anyone is going to wade through all that or gives a damn.
On Sat, 5 Apr 2014 18:45:02 +0000 (UTC), Danny D. wrote:

Join the crowd!
False advertising? Samsung Galaxy S4 16GB version actually only has 8GB usable http://dottech.org/107633/false-advertising-samsung-galaxy-s4-16gb-version-actually-only-has-8gb-usable/#44GHRJuiFlhymxaA.99
52GB Memory? Sony India using deceptive advertising for their Xperia Tipo smartphone in India http://techwhack.co/52gb-memory-sony-india-deceptive-advertising-xperia-tipo-smartphone-india-5084/
Mobile phones have much less storage than advertised, according to consumer watchdogs. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/9905584/Which-warns-over-mobile-phone-memory.html
Microsoft faces class action lawsuit over the Surface’s lack of usable memory http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/microsoft-sued-over-surface-tablets-lack-of-storage-space /#!DfFvd
False Advertising? Samsung Responds to Galaxy S4 Gigabyte Scandal http://www.androidpit.com/samsung-responds-to-galaxy-s4-gigabyte-scandal
On Sat, 5 Apr 2014 18:45:02 +0000 (UTC), Danny D. wrote:

Even CNET was fooled!
Notice how DECEPTIVE Samsung was when they answered CNET's question as to why there was so little memory left on the Samsung Galaxy S4: http://dottech.org/107633/false-advertising-samsung-galaxy-s4-16gb-version-actually-only-has-8gb-usable
Samsung said (and I quote): “For the Galaxy S4 16GB model, approximately 6.85GB occupies [the] system part of internal memory, which is 1GB bigger than that of the Galaxy S3, in order to provide [a] high resolution display and more powerful features to our consumers. To offer the ultimate mobile experience to our users, Samsung provides [a] microSD slot on Galaxy S4 for extension of memory.”
Notice that Samsung didn't mention that you CAN'T USE that SDCARD memory for app storage, which was the original problem in the first place (that the app & os storage took up all the memory).
Also notice how Samsung IMPLIED (ever so insiduiously) that the memory could be used to solve the problem (of app storage bloat).
To me, they are clearly being deceptive. They even fooled CNET (who didn't mention what I'm saying above).

.. or to rephrase that ... it is acceptable and expected that advertising contains inconsistencies, misleading statements, errors and lies. :) :)
Ann Marie Brest:

Irrelevant. We are in a corporate state, and the phone company defines truth.
you will say in your entire life.
On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 12:57:08 -0700, trader_4 wrote:

You should *not* believe that you actually have 1.3GB! You seem to also have fallen for that trick (as did I).
What shows up on my 600MB LG Optimus L9 is 1.8GB (which I have said all along). What's ACTUALLY available is about half that, at 600MB.
I suspect you have a similar reduction in what you "think" is available. You *probably* have something more like 600MB available user storage.
Even after reading all 200 posts in that "how to get android to tell the truth about memory" thread, I'm still not sure WHY they do this.
To delve deeper, depending on your VERSION of Android, what you're probably seeing as 1.3GB is what appears to the Operating System as the available memory *before* the carrier-added bloatware and certainly before you added any apps.
But, what's nearly certain (depending on your version of Android), is that you have *much* less than 1.3GB of available space for apps!
The only way to arrive at the 600MB number (that I know of) is to add up the sizes of all the "stuff" that is in that 1.8MB.
Bear in mind, I'm (clearly) not an Android expert, so, I would ask those who know better than I how to arrive at that number of truly available space for apps.
On 04/08/2014 08:35 PM, Danny D. wrote:

You need to complain to somebody about your calculator, too. Or maybe your public school education.
600MB is 1/3 of 1.8GB, not 1/2.
TJ
On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 00:35:43 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

One way to tell, is to add an app. See if the number changes. On mine, it doesn't. Does yours?
NOTE: I'd love for an Android expert to help explain all of this since it's an important figure that everyone seems to misinterpret (including me, at first).
On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 8:59:13 PM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:

I downloaded storage analyzer, which appears to be a popular and highly rated Android app for reporting memory usage. It appears to be confused, because it reports on the main screen 1.93GB free and when I click on the pie chart icon, it shows 1.95GB total, ~1.12 GB free. The 1.12GB number is exactly what the ZTE phone says is free when I go to system settings and click on storage. And it also went down from the previous 1.13GB after I downloaded the storage analyzer app. The info for the app says it takes up 1.6MB, so that is consistent with the 1.13GB going down to 1.12GB.
So, if anything, it's this free app that appears to be reporting the wrong memory size and it's overstating it by a huge amount compared to the phone, not the other way around. So far, I don't see anything that says I have less than the 1.12GB free that the phone shows. But it's also a curious thing that what is supposed to be a memory analyzer disagrees with itself on how much memory is free.
On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 14:58:54 -0400, TJ wrote:

That "may" be the case, but, if so, why did the reviewers accept the clearly incorrect answer the phone reported for the "available space"?
The fact they didn't catch on to what took me a while myself to understand, is that this "available space" isn't the available space at all.
I still wish an Android expert would chime in to explain this, but, it appears to be the space that *was* available after the OS was installed.
The actual available space is MUCH smaller than what is reported by the Android OS, on the order of half of what is reported (depending on the Android version and on what the user installed).
So, if the PC Magazine and CNET reviewers did understand what they were doing, why did they report the wrong numbers when they complained about the bloatware?
The actual numbers are far worse than those that they complained about. Methinks that, if they actually knew this, they would have said so.
But, they didn't.
On 04/08/2014 09:03 PM, Danny D. wrote:

at least part of the discrepancy you're seeing. Because each app runs in its own "sandbox," each app has its own cache, with the size of each cache expanding or contracting depending on how the apps are used. Thus, if you check available storage before using any apps, as someone who is reviewing a phone might do, you'll get a different number than *after* you use some of them.
TJ
On 04/08/2014 06:03 PM, Danny D. wrote:

They have advertisers -- at least I assume they do, I don't see any thanks to adblockplus. I've never truly believed what any reviewer had to say about anything, even Consumer Reports; CR regards as important things that I regard as trivial and vice versa.
--
Cheers, Bev
On Wed, 9 Apr 2014 00:35:43 +0000 (UTC), Danny D. wrote:

600 MB is rather closer to 1/3 of 1.8 GB than to half of it. Why are *you* allowed to be so inaccurate but T-Mo and LG are *not* :-) ? Cheers, -- tlvp

On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 03:20:06 -0500, K Wills wrote:

Exactly. And, failing information to the contrary, I must assume that, when they call something ROM, it's because it *is* ROM, and not something an ordinary user can write to -- or erase from -- without heroic efforts :-) .
If I'm wrong in that, well, show me how :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 11:24:34 PM UTC-4, tlvp wrote:

You're wrong because obviously the smartphone has Flash and that is what is used to hold the OS, apps, pics, music, etc. Even the BIOS on PCs has been Flash, not ROM or EPROM for decades now. You don't want ROM because it can't ever be updated. Flash can and besides holding the OS, the same chip can hold user data, apps that are added, etc. Further, don't you think it would be pretty dumb for the whole industry to be distinguishing phones as 4GB, 8GB, 32GB, etc, if it's just ROM that the user has no access at all too? Why would anyone care?
The simple fact is that for Danny's phone, Tmobile incorrectly calls the 4GB ROM. LG calls it internal storage. Internal Flash memory would be an even more accurate description.
On 04/08/2014 11:24 PM, tlvp wrote:

Danny in trouble in the first place?
TJ
On 04/08/2014 08:24 PM, tlvp wrote:

Another wrinkle: Are they using decimal or hex numbers?
--
Cheers, Bev
On Friday, April 11, 2014 5:17:52 PM UTC-4, The Real Bev wrote:

Have you ever seen memory in a product spec'd in hex? I haven't. Do you mean using base 2 measurement, ie 1024 vs 1000? That is a nit because 4GB measured either way is close to 4GB and it has an insignificant effect on the true memory size. It can't make 4GB into 600MB. But loading the OS and pre-installed apps sure can.