How to clean up broken glass in a dish-washer

Hi all,
Last night after I had finished loading dirty glasses and dishes to my Whirlpool dishwasher, I closed the dishwasher door and heard glass breaking sound. I opened the door and realized that a small glass was broken inside the dishwasher. I tried my best to pick up most broken glass pieces inside the dishwasher. However, it's really hard because some of those broken pieces were very tiny and they looked like water drop inside the dishwasher. I then ran two full cycles of dishwashing in an attempt to rinse all those broken pieces out from dishwasher.
Still, I'm a bit worried if there are still any remanining pieces of broken glasses inside the dishwasher. Even though the remaining pieces may be small , the result will be very bad if any of them got into the dish or cup in the future.
What's the best way to ensure that all of the broken glass pieces have been cleaned up from the dishwasher? Do I really need to call a professional technican to do this job?
Thanks in advance for any advice / suggestion Dom

If your Whirlpool is like my Kitchen Aid (probably exactly the same motor), take out the bottom rack. You should be able to remove the bottom wash arm by unscrewing a nut on the top of the arm. You can lift it out, and then there should be a removable rubber strainer that encircles the wash arm. Remove that. You should be able to use a shop vac to suck up any broken glass. The solid waste disposal in the dishwasher will probably just grind up the bit you miss and pump them away.

Vacuum cleaner. be sure it is dry inside so nothing sticks.
wrote in message >

Or use a wet/dry shop-vac.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 16 Mar 2005 09:25:36 -0800, someone wrote:

What would the professional technician do???
Open door.
Leave open overnight so inside is dry.
Remove dishes so there is room to work.
Dump out the screen around the drain, and vacuum the bottom of the dishwasher.
If you were nearby, I'd come over and do the vacuuming part for say $100 so that you could feel it was done professionally, that is, for a fee. Heck, I'd even remove the dishes.
You are not the first person who has broken a glass inside a dishwasher. Happens all the time.
If you broke one in the sink, would you get a professional for that too!

Try turning off all the lights in the room (at night) and looking inside with a flashlight. Any glass specks should show up quickly in the light of the flashlight. You can then just wipe the whole inside (after you take the racks out) with a wet paper towel. I think that would get all of them out.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Small bits of glass won't hurt you. There are people who eat light bulbs (mostly professional football players) just for a lark.
Have you ever seen an enameled pot that didn't have a chip? Where do you think the chip went?
Don't worry about it.
Yep I was told buy a MD pathologist that those Hitchcock murder mysteries involving adding ground glass to food don't work. Haven't verified it though.

No, you can do this job yourself. You will need a helping hand (neighbor, friend etc) and flashlight. First empty the dishwasher. Remove racks. Make sure the heat dry is in the off position. Climb in with your flashlight. Have your friendly neighbor latch the door and hit the pan or extra cycle button. After 2hrs, you won't give a rat's behind about the glass.
replying to domtam, Carla wrote: hi This just happened to me this morning. First of all I swore and then swore some more. The i got busy picking out all of the large pieces and them all the medium and small pieces. When i couldn't get any more of the pieces out, I took paper towel and soaked up all of the water. A lot of the smaller pieces i couldn't pick up without cutting myself came up with the water on the paper towel. when the inside of the dishwasher was dry, I then went to the store and bought 3 cans of the pillsbury biscuits that need to be baked (generic version). I open up the can and flattened out one biscuit and then just patted the inside of the dishwasher to pick up any remaining shards of glass. And repeat and repeat until all glass shards are gone. Please keep in mind that you should dry the inside of the dishwasher with paper towel as much a possible beforehand. I took the bottom rack out and then i took out the little mesh basket that catches all the crud, and dried that out with paper towel and then used a biscuit to get any remaining shard of glass out of that.
What a nightmare- but it worked. I didn't want to spend $50 on a shop vac. this cost me about $6 for the paper towels which i already had and the biscuits.