How to clean old bathroom taps

Hi there - first post, so hope I am doing it right. I am about to install a new bathroom basin but I would like to keep the old metal taps on the new one - is there anything I can use to clean the old taps effectively? They have some limestone bits hanginf off them and are in good condition, just old and dirty. Any advice appreciated.
Steve.
On Feb 1, 8:04 am, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Mr, Clean works great.
avid_hiker wrote:

Or LimeAway.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I did this and the old taps/faucets came up like new:
Soak them overnight in white vinegar. Clean them up with an old toothbrush. Soak again in white vinegar. Rince, dry, and shine them up with a little metal polish.

Emphasis on the soaking parts. Those little 'limestone' stalactites say the inside is likely gummed up too. Personally, unless it was a hard-to-match style, I'd be likely to fit a new faucet and plastic feed lines while I had it all apart, just so I wouldn't have to take it all apart again in a year. Either way, be real careful with the feed line fittings on the wall- they love to self-destruct, especially with mineral-laden water. Clean them up carefully before you reinstall. Real good time to switch those out if they are crappy looking or dribble.
aem sends...
On 1 Feb 2007 05:04:20 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

CLR works well but don't use on gold.