How to clean brick?

I got some oil from a sump pump onto a ledge made of somewhat porous brick. Is there a way to clean this? Should I just use degreaser with a rugged brush?
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 20:23:43 -0700, AE Todd imparted this wisdom:

http://microbes.wonderchem.com /
Wet surface. Apply cleaning solution. Lightly scrub. Cover with burlap or old sheet or piece of towel. Wet covering. Keep it damp approx 24 hrs. Rinse and dry.
--
I do desire we may be better strangers.
-- William Shakespeare, "As You Like It"

Dawn dishwashing liquid, water and brush.