How to attach new roof to side of house?

The back of my 2 story house has a concrete patio. I would like to build a roof over the patio. I am not sure how to attach the roof to the house, though. The back of the house has the 1st floor bricked and the 2nd floor has wood siding over the 2x4s. There are no windows in the way so that makes it a little easier. But what would be the best way to attach the roof to the house so that its weight is properly supported?

Codes vary from area to area but a general answer for a shed roof (that is a single incline from the house to the yard) would be to remove a strip or two of the wood siding then bolt a ledger board to the existing sill or stud wall. Use joist hangers nailed to the ledger board and support the yard side with a header and posts of correct size.
Of course there is a good bit of planning before you tear the first board off. You have to get the proper pitch on the roof so you start with the height of the roof at the yard edge of the porch and work backwards to compute where it will attach to the house.
This is a real simple explanation
Colbyt

That's sort of what I had in mind. I'm just wondering if the wall made of 2x4's is strong enough to bolt the side of a roof to that has rafters made of 2x6's.
For a small overhang you can probably use 2x4s for rafters. Use posts or brackets to support.

Your ledger plate will most likely need to be a 2x8, maybe a 2x10 to allow the 2x6 rafter to rest fully against it after the angle is cut. The weight transfer is down. The load is divided between the stud wall and the header/posts on the other end.
Unless you have a heavy snow load to factor in I think you will be fine. I just rebuilt one this way on an inspected job site. There were no complaints from the inspector. There just isn't that much weight involved. I still suggest a call or visit to your local building inspection office.
Colbyt
Colbyt wrote:

As to weights and building inspectors: I rebuilt my patio roof several years ago. Fortunately the permit was issued by a clerk "to repair/reroof porch roof". The inspector's idea of a suitable roof was one I could have parked a D8 cat on. I convinced him that since I was using the same roof framing (including the 2x4 rafters) it complied with "repair" and that the old roof had held for over 30 years. I did bend and used 2x6 for 1/2 of it but he really wanted 2x8.
Harry K

Gary