How old is too old for a smoke detector ?

BULLSHIT!

This is very bad advice and also very dangerous advice!

You should not guess at something you don't know about, especially when someone's life could depend on it.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Good advice. Never "gift" used detectors! Only re-use the batteries for something else besides life-safety devices. Always use brand-new batteries when replacing them, and check the detectors twice a year - minimum. A good way to remember to check them is to do it when changing the clocks twice a year.

Reply to
G. Morgan

You're right, that's not a valid test. Testing is done according to the manufacturer's method.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Luckily, now they make wireless interconnects. They are more expensive, but that is something no one should skimp on.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Since you have FireX now, you may want to consider returning the Kidde detectors to Menard's and buying FireX replacement detectors.

As far as I can tell, replacing FireX detectors with Kidde detectors may involve having to use the "adapter" that comes with the Kidde models etc:

My inclination would be to keep the same brand as the originals.

Reply to
TomR

I am not sure if replacing old detectors that were up to code when they were put in would require bringing the new system up to the current code. But, I would go with the battery backup models if it is do-able since that is safer. I am just guessing that the alarm systems have battery backups in case there is an electrical malfunction or short that causes a fire and also causes the power to go off.

I only have one property that has an interconnected hardwired alarm system with battery backup which has 5 detectors in the system. I don't recall the batteries chirping on going bad very often. I have had it happen once or twice in a few years, but only with one battery at a time -- not all of them every year or so. But, that is just a guess from memory since I didn't pay much attention to when this was happening.

Reply to
TomR
[snip]

I bought Smoke and CO detectors in 2006. The smoke detector (First Alert with both ionization and photoelectric sensors) has instructions to replace it after 10 years.

AS to the CO detector (NightHawk), it failed and had to be replaced in

2013. The new one has no such message.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

A number of years ago a friend had a smoke detector go bad in his townhouse. We were unable to find a replacement that could be wired into his existing system that would communicate with the other units, or with each orher if we replaced them all as hard-wires units. We replaced them all with individual battery operated units

Kidde now has wireless battery operated interconnected alarms that can be "hushed" from any station. They also have combo cosmoke detectors that do not have replaceable batteries - you change the whole unit every 10 years. - available as standalone or 120 volt direct wired with 10 year backup battery.

Reply to
clare

My co detectors have build in rechargeable bateries for backup, and run off 120 volts through a wall-wart. (all except one, which uses a 9 volt battery instead of the rechargeable) They are nighthawks.

Reply to
clare

about 20 years old. they don't take batteries, that's probably why they hav e not received much attention. The are hardwired to AC with a signal wire t o the other 2 detectors. Don't believe they are on a separate circuit, shou ld they be ?

He can do what he wants, however there is no requirement that it be brought up to current code for new construction, at least here in NJ, which is pretty tough when it comes to code. Here a smoke detector inspection is required for a certifcate of occupancy and what is required is far more basic. For example, a smoke detector immediately outside a bedroom, as was code years ago, is still compliant. As is using one for two bedrooms, if those bedrooms are next to each other. etc.

I'd suggest he check what's required in his state and then decide.

Reply to
trader_4

Our city rental code requires the batteries to be replaced every year. As I recall, back when most 9v batteries were just carbon cell they lasted about a year in a smoke detector. But Alkaline last 3 to 5 years. I think there are some lithium's that last 10 years.

I've always used alkaline in the ones at my residence and they last a lot longer then a year before they start beeping.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Years ago, I saw some thing about a smoke detector with a sound recorder in it. You'd get either parent to record a couple seconds of his / her voice calling the child by name, and tell em to wake up and it's a fire drill.

Wonder if it's easier to have monthly stop drop and roll, crawl in smoke type drills. Then the kids associate the fire alarm horn with the drop roll and crawl drill?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You aren't married, are you??? Perhaps not married any more is more accurate??

Reply to
clare

That is true, he does not have to bring it up to new construction code. Its a good opportunity to exercise best practice though.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Yes, absolutely. I forgot to mention that, thanks.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Hi, Just do things just to get by code? Family life is depend on it. There is no such things as over safety as far as I am concerned. smoke/flame detectors, CO detectors, gas detecter hard wired with battery back up. Diligent annual check up and testing like a ritual. Here often local government is talking about sprinklers in residential new construction. Today's vinyl sidding clad house is very bad in fire.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You can put 50 of them in your house, if you like. I don't see it doing much to improve safety. Code 30 years ago was one on each level, one in the hall outside bedroom areas. That works for me. Every house fire death report in the news that I've ever seen, there were either no smoke detectors, they had no batteries, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

Mine were in first and 2nd floor hallways near stairs and when one would start chirping it took a while to figure which one. Now with these long lasting batteries, I should not hear anything for 10 years.

Reply to
Frank

I have that problem too. The chirp is so short and far apart that it can be hard to figure out which one. The part I don't get is these are AC plus battery, yet they start the chirping within about a year. One would think that a battery that's only there for backup would last many years, basically the shelf life minus whatever usage occurs during power outages, which here isn't much. The other part that's a pain is one of them is up high where it can't be reached with a stool or typical small ladder.

Reply to
trader_4

Brick and aluminum for me!!!

Reply to