How much toilet paper do you use in 10 years?

How much toilet paper do you use in 10 years per bathroom?

I'm trying to convince my wife that it's cheaper to buy a bidet and have it installed in the master bath, than to buy toilet paper for that master bathroom.

I figure a 10-year payback period should be reasonable.

I ran the calculations of 1 roll of toilet paper a week, but, she doesn't believe my calculations.

How much do you use in a 10 year period? Do you think TP outweighs the cost of a bidet?

Reply to
Anyar Bakalin

Here, toilet paper usage is typically "per person"! Our bathrooms are very frugal and don't USE any!

Do you folks plan on walking around with WET butts? Or, are you investing in an air dryer, as well?

TP is cheap. TP doesn't require any demo/construction labor. TP doesn't need maintenance. Payments for TP can be spread out over the time you use it (instead of a lump sum up front).

I think bidet is a cultural/personal preference issue. What do you do if she later decides she doesn't like the sensation? Plumb a toilet immediately adjacent to the bidet (and pay to modify the soil stack??)

Reply to
Don Y

You stated it very well. There would be the added cost of a dryer or added cost of laundry if you plan on using hand towels every time your butt gets a washing. Or you could just buy some of those pre-moistened cleaning towels, such as used for babies (baby wipes). Those would be a heck of a lot cheaper than a bidet.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

The bidet is a personal preference. I'd not try to justify it on cost, but for hygiene

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

ONly dumb French ass washers use bidets. If you like shitty water dripping all over the place than by all means get a bidet. TP is the only way to go. You'll regret the bidet the first month you use it. =========

Reply to
Roy

Well, some of my tongue-in-cheek arguments are a bit specious. E.g., TP requires a *toilet* and that toilet requires maintenance, etc.

Over the years, we've encountered them in various upscale hotels. And, a "love retreat" where they were used to clean up from "other" activities.

But, I think they are the sort of thing that you either grow up with or not. E.g., we have a dishwasher and still wash most of our dishes by hand -- old habits die hard (especially when those habits become *intimate*!)

You also have to consider how guests (and future homeowners) will take to them. E.g., if I put a *urinal* in my bathroom, I'm sure the male visitors would have no problem "adapting" -- and chuckling about the encounter! OTOH, a bidet might scare some folks away...

Reply to
Don Y

dont forget the 10 year cost of water and sewer for the bidet....

Reply to
bob haller

Toilets also use water. No idea as to the *relative* water use of toilet vs. bidet.

Reply to
Don Y

Did you loose your left hand in a farm accident?

Reply to
taxed and spent

It would be even cheaper to just add an under seat bidet to the toilet. They are available from about $20 to $100, most around $50-$60, check Amazon. If it were me, I'd buy one and try it before investing in a "sit alone" bidet, not only cost effective but far more convenient.

We have two of them - $30 each - and they work fine. Still have to use some TP though, if only to dry yourself.

Reply to
dadiOH

Why use toilet paper when phone books are delivered to your front door for free?

Reply to
Steve Stone

Some people exclusively use cell phone lookup. Bet that stinks, carrying around the cell phone you been using as a wipe.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You still need TP to dry your ass after using the bidet, same reason you use it in the first place if you are healthy and eat a good diet, so the TP usage will stay about the same.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

The bidet is very popular in Europe. While paper is suitable in most cases, there are times a water wash would be a good aid in hygiene. Some women like to use it a couple of days a month too. It made more sense at the time when people did not bathe/shower frequently either.

Of course, as you state, a bidet would never be needed by a perfect asshole.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

...and enough fiber! ?

Reply to
bob_villain

I'd be more worried about a period that lasted 10 yrs. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob
[snip]

521.775 weeks in 10 years (I already knew the average year has 365.2425 days, 365 + (1/4) - (1/100) + (1/400)).

I got a simple bidet seat attachment for $100, although that'd be more now.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I found that after getting the bidet seat I used MUSH LESS TP. Also, there was the benefit of the toilet never getting clogged.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

"Mark Lloyd"

Reply to