How much seepage with patio blocks mortared and unmortered

The patio blocks around our pool are uneven due to roots and 30 years of wear.

I am planning to pick them up, relevel and rescreed and re-lay them.

They were originally put down with 3/8" mortared joints (probably dry mortar mix and misted).

I was wondering how much difference there would be in water intrusion through the pavers if I put them back without the mortar. I've found that a handheld air hammer will take the old mortar off very cleanly. I'm thinking that might even be a little more watertight than if the mortar joints crack.

I need this job to last about 3 or 4 years. My plan is to replace the pavers, then paint over them with an acrylic paint with nonskid.

I can recalc the size to make up for the loss of the mortar joints.

Also, I had thought of putting plastic under the sand or perhaps between the sand and the pavers but that seems like it might cause problems.

One final question. I'm assuming that 1/4 inch per foot would be sufficient. There are parts where it's about 1" in 1 foot right now.

Thanks, I'd really appreciate any input.

cg

Reply to
cgmsys

No mortar at all would be tighter than cracked mortar....? Howzat supposed to work?

Easiest thing is to use some of the modified paver sand that sets up - or add the additive to regular sand. BTW, the white play sand that is used in kids' sandboxes packs a lot tighter than the normal mason's sand.

RicodJour

I have no idea, but would it be a good idea to flip them over?

People here have talked about that for deck 2x4s, but I have no idea if it is a good idea here.

Reply to
mm