How much juice does it use?

Page 1 of 2

I bought a paraffin bath (good for aching parts) and want to know how much it costs to run, let's say, per hour +-.
Called the local elec co, but lady said she couldn't give a figure by the hour, only in KWH. Also depends on whether I want to keep it on all the time, or shut on & off.
But my decision (on or on&off) depends on the relative costs.
Chicken - egg?
Anybody have an approximation?
Appliance is 120 volt, 100 watt. It has a setting to heat up the paraffin, another setting to maintain operating temp., and another setting for "solid" (what's the point of that one?)
TIA
Aspasia
If it is marked "100 watt" (which is probably for the highest setting), it uses one tenth of a KWH each hour. The medium setting is probably half that, so maybe one twentieth of a KWH. Look on your electric bill to find out how much each KWH costs -- probably around 5 to 10 cents. So you are looking at about a dime or a quarter per day to run it full time.
-Kevin
aspasia wrote:

5-10 per KWH? Where do you live? In NYC it's over 25 per KWH; plus tax
--
Peace,
BobJ

> So you are looking at about a dime or a quarter per day to run it full

Here in Scottsdale AZ, it's 9 cents/KWH. It's actually split between 3.9 cents/KWH for "delivery" and 5.2 cents/KWH "energy". Plus, of course, a $10 monthly service charge and another 7.5% for taxes.

NC: 8.5 - 9cents

Tucson 10 cents for commercial, 9 for residential in summer, 8 in winter.
Al

So. Calif has a low income rate of 11.8 cents/KWH. Regular would be 20% more. *
I also learned something that may be of interest to others.
When elec co. heard that I was using paraffin bath for accident injuries (recommended by therapist) they said there is a "medical baseline" rate which gives extra advantage. Have to make out an app. & have doctor sign.
I'd much rather NOT have the injuries and not have the paraffin bath!
But, as I said above, this may be of interest to others who are using an appliance for medical reasons and don't know -- as I did not know -- that there can be a special "baseline" in such cases.
*(Utilities have always been high in So.Calif. But special thanks must go to Bush's Enron and other energy crook friends who were caught on tape joking about shafting "Grandma Millie"" during the artificial energy crisis in Calif a few years ago that was engineered right out of the White House for the benefit of its great friends and contributors. Suddenly plants were taken off line for "maintenance" -- hmmm...what a coincidence. Law of supply and demand kicks in. Also anybody can check out the precipitous drop in natural gas rates when El Paso's monopoly ended.)
aspasia wrote:

The White House did not pass laws in California regulating power generation prices nor did the White House lock in elevated rates on the futures market. Nor did the White House prevent energy companies from building new power plants in the state.
You can't blame the energy companies when California bent over and said "Screw me!"
P.T. Barnum said: "Never let a sucker keep his money." It's the American way.

overtly planned the Calif. debacle, but their tentacles certainly reached into Enron (remember the late, unlamented Ken Lay - is he really dead, BTW, or sipping margharitas somewhere while his family enjoys the wealth that would have gone to his victims). Radical Republican tentacles also into El Paso natural gas. Did you carefully NOT notice that the price dropped like a stone when their monopoly ended? And on and on.
Do you think that Cheney will now be forced by the new majority to release those top-secret notes on his meetings with the energy barons -- who, everybody knows, wrote the legislation that the pussies in Congress allowed to become law -- for the SOLE benefit of Big Energy and screw the environment our children will have to live in.
Do you have a glimmer of doubt that the K Street lobbyists WRITE the damn legislation on this and other money-makers for Corporate America?
California certainly did NOT perform the anatomical act you describe above. We consumers were NOT damaged by Gray Davis, who himself was the victim of rampant Republican criminality and mud-slinging (What a laugh when they smeared him for fund-raising -- did you happen to notice that is *Arnold's* main occupation?)
It was the *energy companies* that artificially boosted the price in Calif -- and heartlessly laughed about it in their phone conversations and emails. Did you happen to notice above where they took plants off-line for (sudden!) maintenance, so the price would shoot up and we'd have blackouts?
If you're not familiar with the screwing that we consumers took out here, better study up before you pontificate!
aspasia wrote:

Yes you did. You said: "... artificial energy crisis... engineered out of the white house for the benefit of its great friends..."

You misunderstand. George Bush has zip to do with oil companies. Nada. Then consider Haliburton: Haliburton does not look for oil, drill for oil, transport oil, refine oil, or have any market at all in oil.
Now George's dad (Bush 41) came to Texas after WW2 and, with only a few million in his jeans, and did manage to make it big in the 'oil bidness.' That's what you did in Texas in the late '40s! You sure as shit didn't try to corner the market on cheese.
El Paso Natural Gas was a federally and state regulated utility. The regulatory agencies, overseen by elected politicians, are responsible for setting the prices - or determining the mechanisms by which prices are established. El Paso didn't make the rules; don't blame them for playing by them.

No, I don't think Cheney will be forced to disclose anything about his meetings. If the consequences of engery action results in screwing the environment, well I might be for that, depending on the other outcomes. Saving the 'environment' is not a suicide pact.

Virtually ALL laws are written by lobbyists. Always have been. Do you want tariffs on hydrogenated yak-fat decided by someone who doesn't even know what yak-fat is?

Well, I know. I was being metaphorical.

Who mentioned Gray Davis?

Fund raising is the avocation of all politicians. It's how you do it that matters.

You simply do not understand that state mandated regulations always result in the consumer getting screwed. Private, free-market enterprises, even if they are monopolies, almost always result in lower prices. The arch-villain, John D. Rockefeller, managed to lower the price of Kerosene from $3.00/gallon to less than five cents. In three years. Of course this put the whale-oil people out of business and, had there been sufficient regulatory agencies to protect whalers back then, we'd probably still be reading by candles and oil lamps.

I am familiar. The screwing was mainly self-inflicted. You STILL have the highest gasoline and electric rates in the nation. But, with a Republican governor, you're not still in the dark.
Meanwhile, you have hydroelectric plants that buy power at night to run pumps to move the water back UP into the reservoirs so they'll have something to drive the generators during the day.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Actually, they weren't allowed to buy into the futures market. they were forced to buy on the spot market, forcing some tight situations.

And the Californians seem to like to be on the suckee end.
--
Keith

aspasia wrote:
SNIPS

In the interest of honesty, a value sadly lacking in each of the major political parties, please note that the Caifornia energy de regulation was carried ot by STATE GOVERNMENT, led by Democrat Governor Grey Davis (remember, he got recalled?) and a STATE LEGISLATURE which had both houses controlled by Democrats.
While it makes a great urban legend, Bush had nothing to do with the Enron theft in California.
Bush has a lot else to answer for, but the Enron rape of California residential rate payors isn't his responsibility.
Don't you just hate it when those pesky facts get in the way?
jJim McLaughlin wrote:

Am I the only one that thinks it's hysterical that poster aspasia, who claims to be so knowledgable of White House conspiracies and the causes of California's past electric shortage, is the one that can't figure out how much it costs to run a heater that has 100W printed on it? Or that aspasia called the CA electric company and they couldn't give an answer, either? LOL!
On 17 Nov 2006 09:55:19 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Elec. co. were quite right to require a wattage before quoting a price. As it happens, I was on the phone with a nice lady who was about to give me the info when I had to take an incoming call. I got the info from a COURTEOUS poster on this NG, rather than call the elec. co. again and push buttons till I got a human being.
Of course to get a quote, one needs -- as a COURTEOUS poster pointed out, to get the KW/hr price for the locality.
As to poster's "hysterical" message above, he mixes Apples and Oranges. This is a familiar tactic which involves conflating two or more unrelated matters to create a gestalt which promotes the desired profile.
It has been used politically to influence the Radical Religious Right, which is not big on critical thinking.
Particularly during the last six years, this mindless practice has been expertly exploited by Bush's Brain, aka Karl Rove.
The "conspirators" (for that is just what they are) have used their expertise in manipulating the compliant media to disseminate loud, but inaccurate information to the ignorant voter, who also is not big on critical thinking.
1. by Republicans to ruin the career of a U.S. Senator, triple amputee Vietnam veteran Max Cleland by juxtaposing his image with that of Osama bin Laden.
2. by Republicans to blacken the reputation of a Vietnam war hero, Senator Foot-in-Mouth Kerry by charging that he did not deserve the Purple Heart -- this "Swift Boat" campaign funded in large part by a wealthy Texan named Bob J. Perry. So barefaced was this smear that the expression "to Swift Boat" has passed into the political lingo.
3. by Republicans during the 2000 Republican presidential primary to damage candidate John McCain by suggesting that he sired a black child out of wedlock (actually he and wife adopted an Asian orphan). See Boston Globe story at: http://tinyurl.com/yl3rz2 .
Are there similar examples of Democratic smear campaigns? This Independent voter hasn't found any, but is open to FACTUAL instances. Democrats, unfortunately, are too disorganized, and perhaps not amoral enough, to mount the same Mafia-like, laser-guided, loyalty-above-truth campaigns so expertly engineered by the monolithic Rove-ian machine.
aspasia wrote:

Yeah, and anyone with a brain would just look at their bill that comes every month, instead of calling up the electric company and wasting their time. And apparently you are so stupid that you called thinking they can tell you how much electric it's going to use without you knowing how many watts it is.

No apples and oranges. The fact that you are so stupid you can't understand an electric bill has direct bearing on how much you likely know about what caused the energy crisis in CA, much less conspiracies directed from the White House. The dummer you are, the more likely you are to not understand things and believe in nonsense. They go hand in hand.

Yes, caught in your own glaring stupidity, just keep going on about Bush. That's typical kook strategy.

Yes, how about the ads run by Democrats that showed churchs burning and implied that's why you had to vote for Dems?
Or how about claiming that President Bush's service as a pilot in the National Guard was less than honorable? Think that didn't offend folks in the national guard or service? Funny how Bush's National Guard service was supposed to be a less than honerable thing when running against Kerry, but when Clinton ran for president, his having written letters of "loathing" the military and not having served period was not an issue? Hypocritical, eh?
Or how about just this week? Seems Dem John Murtha finally got outted with a video showing him saying to an FBI agent with a briefcase full of $50K cash "I'm not interested in that, ......At this point. We do business for a few years, then maybe I will be interested, maybe I won't" Curious how with Murtha slinging muck, just like you, at the administration and our troops for a year, nobody brought this up. Not even at election time. But now he got into a nasty little fight for the #2 spot in the House with a fellow Dem, and bingo out it comes.
This Independent voter hasn't found any, but is open to FACTUAL instances.
Independent ? LOL And you wouldn't know a fact if it hit you in the head. You're so stupid, you can't even read and figure out an electric bill!

See Murtha about that!
On 17 Nov 2006 13:23:04 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Maybe you could sign up at a local adult school for spelling lessons? But even that wouldn't teach you critical thinking. Name-calling is a poor substitute.
Over & out
aspasia wrote:

Get back to us when you learn how to read and figure out a simple electric bill, OK? That only requires very basic reading and multiplication skills, which clearly you lack. So forgive me if I don;t give any credence to your wild conspiracy assertions or mastery of energy issues in the state of CA.

says...

I certainly don't see anything in here that looks like $.25 per KWH:
http://www.coned.com/documents/elec/MSCMACstatement110106.pdf
Here in VT it's about $.12/kWH similar to NYC, from what I can gather from the above link). I noticed the lowest in the US is KY at $.044/kWH. -- Keith

Well I'll be....
Where in VT? I lived in Colchester/Essex Jct/Westford over a couple of decades.
127.0.0.1 says...

Essex Jct. for at least a couple of more months.
-- Keith