How much does are yard of driveway stone weigh?

The regular 1" stone. How much does a yard weigh? Need to see how many I can pull behind the truck.
Thanks
Dean
One ton of stone equals approximately 3/4 of a cubic yard, so one yard would be appr. 1.33 tons, or 2700 lbs.
One yard of stone of fairly uniform size and one yard of sand both have an assumed weight of about 2500 pounds. This is what any of your local suppliers would have told you on a quick phone call seeking info on price and weight.
You'd think so wouldn't you! But I got the silly receptionists, one of whom told me (for mulch at least) 700 lb and the other one 2 tons (4400 lb).
Dean,
Some of the concrete, sand and aggregate sellers have handy little pocket guides that they can give to you when you stop by to check on prices or to make a purchase. These guides make it easy to calculate yards of materials and to estimate the weight of the materials. Obviously, you aren't the first customer of theirs who needs to do those calculations.
Of course, if you are like me and you keep misplacing the pocket guide, then you still need to do it the hard way. For weight, I generally just appoximate with 2500 pounds per yard for dry sand, gravel, stone, etc. Dry topsoil is about 1500 pounds/yard and wet sand is approximately double that at 3000 pounds/yard (although wet sand seems to weight about ten times that amount when you are shoveling it and hauling it in a wheelbarrel.) I also figure 4000 pounds per yard for wet concrete mix and for cured concrete.
Using these numbers as guidelines will give you a good ballpark estimates for most common materials that you buy by the yard. Buying a yard of mulch? I'd say it is lighter than dry topsoil, and I'd ballpark it at 1000 pounds/yard.
Good luck, Gideon
Depends on how big your yard is.
dummy!
message

O.K., I know....lame joke......
LOL haha :)
And when figuring towing capacity (I'm probably stating the obvious) do not forget to figure in trailer weight. For 2500 lbs of stone and renting a trailer with that capacity, the trailer itself may weigh that much. So you would need 5,000 lbs towing capacity.

That all depends on the size of your yard, and how deep the stone is piled in your yard. However, I can give you a rough estimate. The weight is somewhere in between the weight of ONE single stone, and the ENTIRE weight of our planet Earth.
I hope this helps.
GP

how deep the stone is

rough estimate. The

single stone, and the

You have entirely too much time on your hands.
Let me point out now, in case any of you are NOT joking, that a yard of stone is a CUBIC yard, not a back yard!

I know how to cube a potato, but how do you cube your back yard?
backyard X backyard X backyard = backyard cubed

snipped-for-privacy@AmericaOffline.com wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/7e85m
--
I miss my .signature.

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck?
Depends on what type of stone. Limestone is lighter, granite heavier. Crusher run with all the fines mixed with the stones is heavier than screened stone which has the fines removed leaving air in between the stones.

Hmm. Well... if memory serves, a galon of water is 8.35 pounds. A cubic foot is 7.48 galons, or 62.5 pounds.
A cubic yard would be 27 cubic foot. And stone is heavier than wate. So, you might be able to get a rough figure that way.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus