how much can I trim off a door (top and bottom)

Hi. If I need to saw off some of my door so it fits in the opening, how much margin of error is there to cut off? Is it 3 inches top and 3 inches bottom, total of 6 inches? How about the sides, any extra there? Thanks for any help.
depends on the door. is it solid? hollow? if its solid-cut away. if its hollow you can cut away but will need plugs for bottom and top

It is a hollow door. I remember, I think someone telling me that there is a solid piece 2" thick in the bottom and the top of the door, then the rest is hollow, but I could be wrong. Thanks for the info.

I had a hollow core wood door cut down by local lumber yard / millwork shop. They cut off considerably more than the two inch solid frame. They salvaged the frame and glued it back to complete the smaller door. TB
Just special order a solid core door the right size.

I saw your follow-up post so I know you are dealing with a hollow core door.
Assuming it is a flat slab you can cut as much as you need to off. I find it easier to just trim one end at the bottom. Then you have to replace the solid strip of wood that is inside the door. You can make a new piece or reuse the old one by removing the veneer from the block of wood, add glue and insert it back into the door and clamp it till it dries.
I have a well painted interior hollow core door that I did this to 16 years ago for an exterior installation in a walk in crawl space opening.
I have never trimmed more than 1/2" off the sides of a hollow core door. I think that would be about the maximum.
Colbyt
Philip Lewis wrote:

Which isn't a major problem if you have hole saws of the right size and you epoxy a plug in place. Drill the new hole, hit the patch with a sander and it's done...assuming you're painting it of course!

Cutting the top will leave the doorknob at a "standard" height.
--
be safe.
flip

oh, about 2 feet from the top and 3 feet from the bottom.
Drill a hole into either end and then you can either see or feel (with a wire maybe) how far to go until it is hollow.