How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs

How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap etc.

How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72, and 62 years old?

Reply to
mm

hire a couple younger guys, cheap insurance avoids ER visits etc

Reply to
bob haller

Get two men under age 40.

3 men all 60+ years will just sit around all day talking and arguing about how it should be done. ;-)
Reply to
G. Morgan

One if Charles Atlas About 6 or seven if a bunch of out of shape old farts. Two college students and a pizza & six pack makes more sense.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You need about 27.

Reply to
StepfanKing

It is a two man job. I won't address the age issues.

The 2 fittest should be the two man team. IMO, the stronger back on the bottom.

The stronger shoulders on the top.

The guy on the top pulls and the guy on the bottom lifts one step at a time.

The third guy should shoot the video and be ready to call 911.

I apologize now for that last line.

Reply to
Colbyt

Hi, Old round fridges are very heavy. New ones are not that heavy. Two man and handtruck is the way. If needed remove door(s).

Reply to
Tony Hwang

What? I am 69 and I am a doer not loafer, LOL! Why age has anything to do with it? Aged are wiser from lot of experience.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Send tape to Americas Funniest Home Videos, and use the prize money to hire fridge movers.

No apology.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No need to apologize. The 72 is in great shape and always has been. Ran a 4:12 mile in his 20's with barely any training. Still carrying fiberglass extension ladderes around and erecting them by himself and climing them, doing work, and putting them back on his pick-up cap when he was 69 (would still be doing it, but the need ended.) Still lifting boxes every day. But he has admitted once before that something recent was a little hard for him.

The 83 year old I haven't seen in action for 10 years but then he was in good shape, jumping off a Jersey wall (36? inches tall) as if it were a 3 inch step. He did a lot of hard work in Siberia in the 40's and is still tough because of it. He was supposed to be third guy.

I was supposed to be the second, and said ok until I remembered that I had abdominal surgery January 15 and the doctor limited me to 15 pounds for 6 weeks. It's 9 weeks now, but I think the 6 weeks just meant I could lift what people normally lift on a normal day, not a whole refrigerator.

I asked the main question because in college our fridge broke and we found an unused one in the basement of the apartment building. I think we needed four of us to get it up one flight of stairs, a typical set of back stairs of a 3 story Chicago apartment, probably six-foot wide steps. But that was without a dolly, just lying on its side, on blankets I'm sure so it wouldn't get scratched, and being pushed up the stairs by two on the botton and one or two pulling on a rope at the top. I don't think there was room for a third guy on the bottom. Even with 4 we barely got it up there.

OK, we'll get some young guys.

Reply to
mm

One on top, to handle the hand truck. One on the bottom to lift. One replacement, to take turns with the lift man. Three sounds about right.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I thought they might be lighter now, but otoh, I thought they might be a lot bigger. My friend says this one is not especially big, so it's probably lighter.

Can't take video. None of us have a video recorder. Will spend money for video recorder on hiring two men. Or maybe 3.

Reply to
mm

When my mother moved in with my grandmother to take care of her, I moved her chest freezer into the basement there. At the time, I told her it was getting sold with the house. Ten years later, that is exactly what I did. When the washer caught on fire here, and I had to buy a new one, I was able to move the new plastic-tubbed one in myself with no problem. To get the old one out, even after removing the motor and concrete counterweight, I had to go hat-in-hand around my office begging a favor, and finally found one lady whose hubby wanted a metal washer drum for a burn barrel at their camp. He came over, and with some rope and my regular handtruck, we managed to get it out. A frig dolley with the strap and the tracks on the back would have helped, but would still have taken 2 for safety.

Is the frig going elsewhere, or going away? If being replaced by a new one, slip the truck guys a $20 each, and have them do it. If going to charity, they will pick up. The 62 YO is a maybe, if he is in good shape. The other 2, no way. Guys always think of themselves as

20-somethings, able to leap tall buildings with a single bound. Sure, they tossed appliances around like beachballs back in the day, but that day was decades ago. Hire some young bucks, or guilt some young relatives into helping.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I'm in that age group. I try to use things like levers to my advantage. Last thing I did was get my snowthrower in my SUV to take to the shop for repairs and I used a ramp cobbled up from 2X4's. Worked fine but my back was sore for a week. Go with the young guys ;)

Reply to
Frank

If its an electric hand truck only one. You seen the ones that climb stairs? If not, two or three. One to pull and steer, one or two at the bottom to lift. Just go slow, take breaks.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

One fit person who knows what he is doing can do it alone. I used to hire a funny little guy named Fahey to do things like that. I had a huge side-by-side refrigerator with the ice and water in the door that he moved for me a few times. Fahey was about 5 foot 3 inches and wiry. Maybe 150 pounds. He moved the fridge up stairs, down stairs and anywhere that was needed by himself.

My recommendation is to hire someone before you end up with a sad story. It's REALLY not worth saving a few bucks.

Reply to
salty

If the men have teenage grandsons, that would be the best bet...

Seriously, get two young guys. I wouldn't be concerned about two 62-year-olds moving a fridge, but 62 and 72 might be a little risky. Depends on the individuals, of course, but as a general rule you'd be better off with a couple of younger guys.

It's a two-man job, regardless: too heavy for one man, and three will get in each other's way.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You must know that it's mostly not about the money.

Reply to
mm

Whoever moves it, get them some grip gloves if they don't have them. Sharp edges and slick sides on something going up a stairs is asking for trouble. Even those gloves with the plastic dots will help moving it much easier. Two pairs for two dollars at Dollar General or maybe it was Family Dollar.

Reply to
Fat Moe

They are all related. General Dollar fought under Chiang Kai Chek. His name is usually prented in reverse order as is the Chinese way. Family Dollar was the rest of his family.

Reply to
mm