How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs

Page 1 of 3
How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs, from the basement. Using a rental handtruck designed for this, with a strap etc.
How many men needed if the first ones are in good shape and 83, 72, and 62 years old?

hire a couple younger guys, cheap insurance avoids ER visits etc
mm wrote:

Get two men under age 40.
3 men all 60+ years will just sit around all day talking and arguing about how it should be done. ;-)
G. Morgan wrote:

What? I am 69 and I am a doer not loafer, LOL! Why age has anything to do with it? Aged are wiser from lot of experience.

One if Charles Atlas About 6 or seven if a bunch of out of shape old farts. Two college students and a pizza & six pack makes more sense.

Well I'm 55 and could move it myself...downstairs anyway.

I'm sure you could. I bought a basic 14 cu ft. fridge for our breakroom at work. It was delivered by a guy about 60 and he did it by himself. Only had to go up four steps. He said he'd not do the larger models though.
wrote in message

Well, I sorta meant stand at the top, yell "Fore!" and give it a teeter.

He was probably 30 and just looked that way from delivering refrigerators.

You need about 27.

It is a two man job. I won't address the age issues.
The 2 fittest should be the two man team. IMO, the stronger back on the bottom.
The stronger shoulders on the top.
The guy on the top pulls and the guy on the bottom lifts one step at a time.
The third guy should shoot the video and be ready to call 911.
I apologize now for that last line.
Colbyt wrote:

Hi, Old round fridges are very heavy. New ones are not that heavy. Two man and handtruck is the way. If needed remove door(s).

I thought they might be lighter now, but otoh, I thought they might be a lot bigger. My friend says this one is not especially big, so it's probably lighter.
Can't take video. None of us have a video recorder. Will spend money for video recorder on hiring two men. Or maybe 3.

Depending on the frig, even the newer side by sides can have some weight. Problem is when where you have to maneuver it only has room for one person at each end.
Bit back I had to move a side by side from one room to another myself. Didn't really have a step but an offset. Doorway I had to go through was so tight not only did I have to take the doors off but even the door hinges and it had to go through perpendicular to the wheels. Ice maker solenoid barely cleared without removing it as well. Once you remove the doors, food contents and any glass shelving, it lightens up quite a bit.
Send tape to Americas Funniest Home Videos, and use the prize money to hire fridge movers.
No apology.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

No need to apologize. The 72 is in great shape and always has been. Ran a 4:12 mile in his 20's with barely any training. Still carrying fiberglass extension ladderes around and erecting them by himself and climing them, doing work, and putting them back on his pick-up cap when he was 69 (would still be doing it, but the need ended.) Still lifting boxes every day. But he has admitted once before that something recent was a little hard for him.
The 83 year old I haven't seen in action for 10 years but then he was in good shape, jumping off a Jersey wall (36? inches tall) as if it were a 3 inch step. He did a lot of hard work in Siberia in the 40's and is still tough because of it. He was supposed to be third guy.
I was supposed to be the second, and said ok until I remembered that I had abdominal surgery January 15 and the doctor limited me to 15 pounds for 6 weeks. It's 9 weeks now, but I think the 6 weeks just meant I could lift what people normally lift on a normal day, not a whole refrigerator.
I asked the main question because in college our fridge broke and we found an unused one in the basement of the apartment building. I think we needed four of us to get it up one flight of stairs, a typical set of back stairs of a 3 story Chicago apartment, probably six-foot wide steps. But that was without a dolly, just lying on its side, on blankets I'm sure so it wouldn't get scratched, and being pushed up the stairs by two on the botton and one or two pulling on a rope at the top. I don't think there was room for a third guy on the bottom. Even with 4 we barely got it up there.
OK, we'll get some young guys.

I'm in that age group. I try to use things like levers to my advantage. Last thing I did was get my snowthrower in my SUV to take to the shop for repairs and I used a ramp cobbled up from 2X4's. Worked fine but my back was sore for a week. Go with the young guys ;)
When I was in college in the early 1980s, my room made got a refrigerator. we somehow managed to get it to the loading dock of the other dorm complex, and another student helped the two of us heft it onto the back of my 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. We managed to get it into the other building, and into the dorm room some how. That was quite a trip.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

That's pretty good. I've moved a spinet piano on the back of my Catalina or Centurion convertible. Twice. I put a double bed mattress on the trunk and lowered top first.
But a fridge might be even heavier.

had friends who had a house fire. had to move freezer out of basement into garage.
what a mess, I measured and KNEW house door had to come off.
ginny insited freezer would fit without removing door, her hubby insisted too.
so I said its a waste of time but lets try..... it didnt fit:(
Ginny asked what do we do now? freezer HAD to go back down steps, and door come off.
10 minutes later and one hernia freezer was out of basement and in garage. her hubby haD NEVER SEEN DOOR HINGE PINS REMOVED:(