how long should programmable thermostat batteries last?

Page 3 of 3

On 4/18/2010 8:43 AM, Jeff The Drunk wrote:

I have a Honeywell 7 day programmable with no backlit display. Mine needs new AAx3 cells every 3-4 years. Suggest that if you have decent ambient lighting where your thermostat is located, get a model without built in lighting. Makes a huge difference in battery life.

The lighting SHOULD be running off the 24V transformer, which SHOULD not effect battery life at all. My daughter's house has a backlit stat and it's been 4 years since it was installed - still on the original batteries.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Mine only lights up when you tap the up or down button. Rest of the time, it is bouncing back and forth between the time and temp display.
--
aem sends...

I'm guessing you have a problem with the thermostat. We installed a White Rogers two-stage thermostat in our new home about 1-1/2 years ago and it is fine. From your description ours might be a little more capable then yours but it certainly isn't top-of-the-line.
We had a similar WR unit in our previous home and I can only recall one battery replacement in nine years.
RonB

We have 2 white-rodgers thermostats (WR#: 1F80-51) with 3 AA batteries each, and they seem to last rather long. The WR A/C thermostat has 2 AA's and they were gone now, but surely did last during the previous cooling season (north Jersey, and last year was a cool summer with relatively little A/C usage).
YMMV
--
Best regards
Han

Got a W-R thermostat-replace the batteries once a year before I go away for some part of the winter. Been doing this for years as a safety measure because a battery failure will shut down the furnace. This year, after coming home, I put the original batteries back in the stat and its operating properly. My guess is that you have a problem with your thermostat. MLD
On 4/17/2010 11:25 PM, aemeijers wrote:

As has been mentioned, the furnace can (maybe) provide power to the thermostat with the batteries being used as a power fail backup. However, many early furnaces didn't bring the return lead for the 24 volts AC to the thermostat. I know on my Honeywell, which is in a motorhome, it runs on batteries 24/7 because there is no 24VAC. The motorhome HVAC uses 12 volts DC for control so that it can be used in a no AC environment off the the batteries. Honeywell says that the batteries can be either used as a backup or as the main thermostat power. There batteries seem to last more than a year, but given that we don't use the motorhome continuously, that doesn't say much. The Honeywell does have relays in it that operate the furnace and AC units and I'm sure that is a significant drain on the battery. In my old house, I had a Honeywell which ran off batteries (no 24VAC return) and they would last several years. And, it also had internal relays to operated the HVAC system. The OP must either have a bad thermostat or one that is poorly designed.

Maybe the TS is defective? some bad component causing an excessive drain.

I have a similar inexpensive TS,and it's 2 AA alkalines last for years. They should last nearly the regular storage life of the cells. I don't use Duracells,though;they leak far more than other brands.
I decided I'd change the batteries out every year,at the time change. I buy bulk packs,so they aren't a big deal.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Because it's CHEAPER to put in a battery box than it is to design electronics to run off the 24VAC from the furnace.