how long should programmable thermostat batteries last?

The lighting SHOULD be running off the 24V transformer, which SHOULD not effect battery life at all. My daughter's house has a backlit stat and it's been 4 years since it was installed - still on the original batteries.

Reply to
clare

"Pete C." wrote in news:4bcc40b3$0$15876$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.usenetmonster.com:

I think the setbacks work,it's just that the PEOPLE have a problem. (that the setback doesn't suit their preferences) No offense meant.

why would a heat pump work any different than my air conditioner? When the TS says it's too warm,my AC is turned on and cools my apartment down. The same goes for when I have 'heat' selected in the winter.

What is "hold mode"?

My TS has a +/- 2 degF window; when the room temp is within 2 degF of the setting,it is inert. When the temp goes outside the 2 degF window,either the AC or heat(whichever I have selected)turns on and runs until the temp is back inside the window.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

limited.usenetmonster.com:

My heat pump is on pretty much continuously at night, into mid- morning, in the winter. There just isn't the reserve to quickly raise the temperature. When it's cold the unit is pumping 40-50F uphill from 20something, which your AC isn't. The outlet temperature, on a good day is *supposed* to be 80F, or some such. I call the heat pump forced cold-air.

Sure, it's a matter of how fast. A heat pump takes *hours* to change the temperature a couple of degrees, hardly useful on a set-back.

Hold =3D=3D Setback clock off (hold current temperature)

That's sorta what a thermostat is designed to do. ;-)

Reply to
keith

It's not preferences, it's practicalities. When people are home the temp shouldn't be "set back".

They don't when in cooling mode, however they do when in heating mode. In heating mode it is normal for them to engage backup electric heat strips when the Tstat setpoint is raised more than two degrees. In heat pump heating mode the efficiency is high, but the ability to raise temps quickly is lower since the heat pump output temps are only around 80-105 degrees, not the 150+ of electric heat (or combustion heat).

Again, heat pumps are typically two stage devices in heating mode and operate at different efficiencies depending on which stage is operating. This is different from other types of heating systems.

Hold mode disables all setback programming and operates like a "normal" thermostat.

Hysteresis.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Pete C." wrote in news:4bccbd2f$0$15850$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.usenetmonster.com:

that IS a "preference" that some people like when they go to bed. It also saves energy when they aren't up and around.That's "practical".

Better thermostats have a 7-day program that allows setbacks during the workweek,and none on weekends when people are home during the day,no need to "hold" or override the setback. Mine doesn't,it's just a cheapie.

Basically,what you're telling me is that heat pumps are incompatible/impractical with setback thermostats. It seems more like a design problem with the heat pump(HP) system. If the HP is raising the temp,albeit slowly,one should be able to opt for no electric "boost" heat. All it means is that the circulating fan runs longer. I recognize there may be a point where the HP cannot supply enough heat when outside temps are very low,and thus backup heat is needed. But the system should be sized so that is a rare event.

Ah,on my TS,it's labelled "override".(overrides the setback)

Yup.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Mine only lights up when you tap the up or down button. Rest of the time, it is bouncing back and forth between the time and temp display.

Reply to
aemeijers

I wouldn't trust such a thing.

Mine uses the power from the ventillation system. (Ten year old factory refurb Honeywell.)

What if you are gone and it goes berzerk because the batteries went?

A friend of mine once moved and left the house with realtor. House was torn down because pipes burst and house was full of water for weeks before realtor caught on.

I don't even leave power adaptors plugged in when I'm gone.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

Well, my new heat pump seems to do ok down to about 28F before it has to kick in the aux heat, so it's not that common here in N. TX. The aux heat with more than 2F setpoint change is a thermostat thing which seems to be standardized.

If you have good insulation, the setback period may produce little if any savings anyway.

Reply to
Pete C.

limited.usenetmonster.com:

Pretty much what I've found with mine. AFAIK, they're not recommended.

If it takes three or four hours to recover, there's hardly a point setting the temperature back.

Reply to
keith

Because it's CHEAPER to put in a battery box than it is to design electronics to run off the 24VAC from the furnace.

Reply to
mkirsch1