how long should programmable thermostat batteries last?

"Pete C." wrote in news:4bcb1bd7$0$10555$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.usenetmonster.com:

anyone have the original installation instructions for their inexpensive "generic cheapie" thermostat? If so,I'd appreciate a copy emailed to me. I lost mine.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

aemeijers wrote in news:9PGdnahTBen2qFbWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

mine has the programming instructions on the inside of the TS cover.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Chuckle. yeah, mine too. But the button labels are on the outside of the case, so you keep having to flip it over to remember which one to punch next. Shoulda been on the inside of the fold-down door. I'll figure it out, it is just one of those tedious annoying things that could have been made a lot simpler for a couple more bucks. I might even have the paper instructions Someplace around here, but right now I haven't a clue where.

Reply to
aemeijers

My Honeywell 5+2 is on it's second or third set of batteries since the new furnace went in, back in Aug 2003. The current batteries are Ikea Alkaline batteries made by Varta in Germany.

Reply to
clare

Around here, all the HVAC supply houses carry a 5 conductor thermostat cable with red, white, yellow, green and blue wires. The color code to follow is no problem if you follow what's on the diagram on the air handler door (normal place). Heat pumps with multi stage heat and cool can be confusing if you don't go by what the manufacturer calls for. I get calls all the time from guys asking me how to hook up their heat pump thermostat. "What do I do with these 9 wires?" Is a question I get quite often and I tell them to look at the manufacturer's diagram and follow it so you or anyone else can service the darn thing. When me and my friends install a system, we make sure the paperwork is attached to the furnace/air handler where a service person can find it. The TBBE, The Big Brown Envelope seems to work best. For some reason, retards always tear the clear plastic stick on envelopes to pieces and leave the paperwork scattered around to get ruined. Gotta love lazy morons.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Chuckle. When I was a kid, my old man's HVAC guy would put TBBE either on top of the main cold air return duct, or on the inside of the hatch you open to change filters, if there was a safe place to wedge it. There weren't any stick-on clear plastic zipper bags in those days, of course....

If I do anything strange to the innards of any piece of technology, I always try to leave some sort of markings inside indicating what I did, for the next poor SOB in there. It may be me, it may be somebody else 20 years from now. Sharpies are great for that.

Reply to
aemeijers

Mine last all year, change them in the fall. I can't remember the brand of stat I use. It's actually a take out from another job. But, three months is far too fast for using up batteries.

Between R and C, you should have about 24 to 28 volts, and use the AC scale.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yea, a little consideration. We put the paperwork for all the attached equipment in TBBE for the next one of us who goes out there. I do the same thing with telecom and data systems except I install a document holder on the backboard or on the wall in the IT/server room. Sometimes I need a small bookshelf for the manuals that come in binders. It's a lot easier to look up the information in the manual than to talk to an incomprehensible fellow in India. The is one very important step one should always remember: PUT THE GOLLY WIGGLE MOTHER RAPING PAPERWORK BACK WHERE YOU GOT IT YOU LAZY INCANDESCENT SPHINCTER!!

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Does the TS have a reset button?

That will set it to factory defaults I think, mine does. (energy star suggested settings for a 5+2 type)

I never made any custom settings, so the default is fine for me.

Reply to
Oren

The whole programmable setback thing is not applicable for a lot of folks since it presumes nobody is home during the day, which is not the case for folks who are retired, work from home, stay at home parents, etc.

Reply to
Pete C.

How do you figure that? We used[*] a setback thermostat not only for daytime but nighttime, as well. AAMOF, the nighttime setback was further (59F) than the day (62, IIRC). We set the temperature for morning and evening to 66F and kicked it up if we got cold.

[*] Don't now because heat pump recovery is an oxymoron.
Reply to
krw

You know, Dufas, you swear like one of them gosh dern Mormons.

Much the same, here. I do try to leave manuals and tech sheets with the equipment. Top of the cold return is good, if it's not all floor pan.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Guess age is starting to rear its ugly head for me. I can't sleep well in a 59 degree room any more. Not to mention, those middle-of-the-night walks are hard to get back to sleep from, at that temp.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I like it cold while sleeping (it's just another blanket). We keep it about

64F now that we have a heat pump. I'd rather have it cooler but even 64F is stretching it for the morning shower and as I said, heat pumps don't recover. Heat isn't nearly as expensive as it was, though. Moving from Vermont to Alabama has changed a few things (heat bills, taxes,...). ;-)
Reply to
krw

Yes, and yes. Heat pumps are nice and efficient, but more than a 2 degree change in set point and you're on aux backup heat. Yes also, I don't like a drastic change in night temperatures either and I also find getting back to sleep after the 3am page is difficult if the temps have dropped.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Pete C." wrote in news:4bcb9578$0$28233$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.usenetmonster.com:

my cheapo programmable TS works fine without any setback programmed. Plus there's an OVERRIDE switch for when you're home.

It cost me $15 at Home Depot about 15 years ago. having a digital TS is better,as it sets to temp more accurately.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Yes, I'm well aware of that. My point is that the idea of the setbacks doesn't work in a lot of cases. Also with a heat pump they are even more problematic. My TS is in hold mode all the time.

Reply to
Pete C.

Is it warm milk? Thanks!

Reply to
Bob Villa

I have a Honeywell 7 day programmable with no backlit display. Mine needs new AAx3 cells every 3-4 years. Suggest that if you have decent ambient lighting where your thermostat is located, get a model without built in lighting. Makes a huge difference in battery life.

Reply to
Peter

the AA cells in my lakeside camp needed replacing every few months. Tossed it and went back to old fashion dial.... worried it would 'die' in winter season freezes.

Reply to
Paul Oman