How Long Do Water Softeners Last?

The reason I ask is that I have one that was probably made in the 70's and the control mechanism is jacked up. My dad used to fiddle with it to get it to work. It was made by Laurel and I doubt I could even find parts to fix it. I know the new ones have digital controls. I have it bypassed now and dont really miss the soft water that much. Just wondering if i should remove it and trash it or try to find a kit to fix controller. tia

At 25 to 30 years, it is time for a new one. If you fix the controls the resin may be giving up and will need replacing, other parts may be corroding, etc. If you want to experiment, take the control apart. There may be some simple seals or "O" rings that need replacing to get it going again.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I'll probably just trash it. The O-Rings were replaced not long before it whacked out. I think the timer is bad and I suspect you are probably correct in your assessment of the rest of the pieces/parts. Thanks for responding.
Anyone know how long a $400-$500 Kenmore one bought in 2001/200 should last
El Simbolo wrote:

I have another brand that has been in use for over 10 years. Replaced control head once due to a lightning strike on the house, that strike also induced a pressure surge that ruptured the strainer that keeps the resin out of the house plumbing (moral of this story - you need a WHOLE house, Pre and Post 10 micron filter surroundign EVERY water softener - pre change every 6 months, post every 12 months)