how high will a washer pump?

Want to relocate a standard clothes washer. This is on slab construction so no way (other than hammer out floor) to run new drains. Existing drain is about 4' of the floor and machine pumps fine. If it would pump to ceiling height I could slope a new drain across the attic and back down to the existing drain. Anyone know if a washing machine pump will pump up 8' ??
I had a cheap washer that I had pump up 8 feet. I put a valve on the hose that would let the water flow in only one direction so the water in the hose would not backup into the washer. The washer may have had a valve like that built into it but I put one on to be safe. Good Luck
snipped-for-privacy@bmzx.com wrote in message

Most washers have a limit of 6 feet high.

Just out of curiosity, what are you going to do with the 8 feet of head water? Sounds like an accident looking to happen to me.

If he uses a oneway valve on the bottom of the hose it should not be a problem. I used one that way for 10 years.

Thanks for the replies. I just want to pump it to 8 foot so I can pipe it across attic and back down another wall to tie it into the existing drain Defiantly will use a check valve.

Why not just rig a garden hose onto it, run it out a window, and climb a ladder outside with the hose in your hand. When it stops flowing, you went too high. A jet pump for a shallow well pumps about 40 feet max.(up the well / horizonal runs dont matter much) I'd guess a washer, having a weaker pump would do about half that, or 20 feet (just a guess). Heck, I may try the hose on the ladder thing myself, just to find out. I only have a 25 foot ladder though, so that's my limit I can test.
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:36:04 GMT, "calhoun"

You have too much free time. ;-)
RB
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

That may be true, but I admire his curiosity.

Some makes may have a high velocity pump available for them which might allow that without any problems. Check with the manufacturer or local parts or service depot *supplying the brand and complete model number off the appliance*.
JMO
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=clothes+washer
=~~~~~~