How do you un-smart a GE microwave?

My daughter's GE model JES1142Sjo4 mfg 9/07 has a peculiar habit of turning on by itself. Every once in a while the unit goes into a countdown for a few seconds and then automatically turns on with no action from anyone. It can happen at any time. What can this be? Bill

Reply to
FlaBill

Whiskers can cause short circuits and arcing in electrical equipment. The phenomenon was discovered by telephone companies in the late 1940s and it was later found that the addition of lead to tin solder provided mitigation, but the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS), that took effect on July 1, 2006, restricted the use of lead in various types of electronic and electrical equipment. This has driven the use of lead-free alloys. Others have focused on the development of oxygen-barrier coatings to prevent whisker formation.

Reply to
Nymshifter

I'd want to take that one back for exchange, or maybe call a priest. That sounds dangerous.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

First, let me say that the way you've chosen to describe the problem in your subject line is really stupid.

Why would you characterize this behavior as "smart", such that solution is to "un-smart" the device?

Why wouldn't you simply say "Need solution for GE microwave - turns on by itself" ?

As for the solution, look here:

They indicate that the keypad or keypad membrane is causing the problem. If you're handy, it might be something you can fix yourself if you can buy a replacement keypad.

Reply to
Home Guy

To give a web nazi something to bitch about?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

FlaBill wrote in news:22009053.273.1323165252950.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@yqf20:

probably needs a new control board. perhaps bad electrolytic caps on the PCB. it may be responding to power line glitches that the caps normally would filter out.

or a bad keypad,which may be part of the control panel anyways.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Ditto, ge is also language cop self appointed.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks for the answer recommendation and the lesson in messaging. My purpose in using that "stupid" subject line was to attract stupid people. Gotcha!!

Reply to
FlaBill

automatically turns on with no action from anyone. It can happen at any time. What can this be?

"Stop me before I cook again!"

How long does it say it's going to cook? How long does it cook?

For lack of a better idea, I'd either a) put a bowl of water in it whenever I wasn't using it, or b) put a toggle switch in between the receptacle and the oven's plug. They make them the size of a cube about 1.5 inches in each direction. They make them for both 2- and

3-prong plugs. The only thing that microwaves are supposed to remember is the current time, so it would not know that anymore.
Reply to
micky

The control board is called a SMART Board. I knew exactly what the header meant.

Reply to
willshak

by itself.

then automatically turns on with no action from anyone. It can happen at any time. What can this be?

What this can be, is a fire hazard. Talk to GE.

Reply to
Doug Miller

willshak improperly full-quoted:

And apparently the control board is also called the CONTROL board.

Apparently the OP didn't, because if he suspected the control board to the problem then he gave no indication of such in his post (he did not allude to the possibility that his use of "smart" in the subject line should be taken to mean the control board).

And unless the control or the (gay-term) "smart" board is part of (or integrated into) the keypad, then the control board is NOT the likely cause of the problem.

Reply to
Home Guy

on by itself.

then automatically turns on with no action from anyone. It can happen at any time. What can this be?

it might be a contaminated keyboard...

if you leave the door open, will it stay off?

if it comes on even with the door open, that is VERY dangerous, I would unplug it

Reply to
Mark

I would too. The thing is a loose cannon.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Fix it?? That would be so 1950's Do the modern thing and hire a lawyer to start a class action law suit!

I just got a check for $0.37 from a class action against ebay. WOW. Don't even really know why.

It does, in my book, sound like something GE should offer a free fix for. To have the keyboard fail in such a way the that it mimics the correct key sequence to enter a time and start the oven is very weird.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

Periodic thermal re-calibration, and nothing to worry about. Or at least, that's what the marketing department might try to tell you. :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Wow you made out like a bandit. I got a check for $.03 and my wife got one for $.04 from Ebay!!!

Roanin

Randy333 improperly full-quoted:

Heh.

Regarding recalls, doing only a few minutes of looking I can find only this:

- 12/5/2007

- G.E. recalls 92,000 microwave ovens

- the door switch can "overheat" ???

- Seems to also involve Kenmore brand units

- Sold in department stores and appliance stores from January 2000 through December 2003 for between $1,500 and $2,000.

If there was another more recent recall pertaining to these units turning on by themselves, I can't find it.

See also:

===========

11/14/11

I bough a GE microwave oven, model JVM1740SM1SS, less than 2 years ago. The keypad says that it is shorted out and needs service. It turns on randomly. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, and it will either say, 'service needed, keypad shorted out' or 'press clock.'

GE has so many complaints about there microwaves, some that are very serious. They still claim that there are no problems with them. They have to know there are problems, but do not want to issue a recall and take a financial lose. It's only a matter of time, before something so serious happens that it will be a bigger financial lose than a recall.

==========

10/13/11

I purchased my second Magic Chef over-the-range microwave in June of

2010 (model number MCO160UW, serial number DJ8500938 for the second one). The first microwave had the same problem the second did. The unit will start on its own, shut off when operating after less than 20 seconds, and most recently operate and function with the door open.

Magic Chef microwave oven, model MCO160UB. It turns on by itself at random times during the day; the keypad is unresponsive, the unit beeps to show 3.5g, then it beeps to show cooking for 1:40 minutes. The first time it happened under warranty and I replaced the whole unit. Now this second unit is doing the same thing, so I keep it turned off for safety.

Jimmy of Magnolia, TX

10/10/11

I replaced the control panel behind the keypad, part PKMPMSF200, but the problem was not fixed. Not sure what else to fix. Calling customer service has not solved the issue either.

Joseph of oak park, CA

============

05-16-2008

I have a GE Profile Convection Microwave Oven that turns on by itself. When that happens, none of the controls work. I can only stop it by pulling out the plug.

I just wanted to clarify what the problem is. The oven turns on by itself. I thought that opening the oven would cause the oven to stop. that didn't work. The only way that I could get the oven to shut off was by pulling out the plug. It has happened twice so far in the last 3 months.

-----------

05-20-2008

I am having the same problem with an LG over the range microwave. The vent will just turn on by itself when its not being used. The only way to turn it off is to unplug it. None of the controls wotk and opening and shutting the door doesnt help. We are not cooking when this happens and have even woken up in the morning to find it running.

---------

05-21-2008

I have read numerous account of GE built-in microwaves that "turned on by themselves" and eventually caught fire. 7 of them in the state of FL resulted in extensive fire damage to a home. At least one of these microwave ovens was recalled by GE. look up consumer reports GE microwaves to find out more, or contact GE directly to find out if your model is one of the models that has been recalled. If it's not, contact them anyway to tell them about it (although, from the reports I read, they know full-well about these problems and pretend that they don't). Many of the reports said the problem was a faulty "magnetron"... it was leaking and causing sparking, which led to fire. Try citing that as the problem and see if they'll fix it for you.

----------

10-08-2009

I also have a ge profile space saver that started turning on by itself and within a couple of weeks never shut off. Actually only the fans would stay on. The microwave itself wasn't running. The vent door will not open unless the microwave is running. The microwave vents to the front into the house. The profile vpm1870sm1ss isn't on the recall list.

---------

11-27-2010

This has happened with our GE Turntable Microwave Oven as well. We have had it for over a year. Just 2 days ago, it would beep, and show the number "3.5" in the LED display, then turn on spontaneously and run for

2 minutes, displaying the 2 minute time in the LED. Opening the door would stop it, but the keypad had become inoperative. We replaced it with a new, identical unit, but it did exactly the same thing! Using a surge protector did not help. I could find no mention of a recall of our unit on the GE site, but I did leave a message with them stating the urgency of the situation, and that I felt it was a potential fire hazard

=============

Reply to
Home Guy

Here's the main web page for all GE recalls:

There seems to be no recalls for microwave-only or table-top / counter-top units.

Only for combination microwave-oven units. Two such recalls for various in-wall-mounted units sold between 2000 to 2003.

Reply to
Home Guy

interference from nearby RF sources can cause that. years ago a copier in a office i served would start making copies on its own. drove me nuts till the copier owner reported other stuff turning itself on.

turned out a new building tenant who repaired 2 way business radios was the cause. they upgraded shelding and the problem went away

I would leave the offending microwaves door open unless in use and call GE for advice.

A microwave with door open should NEVER turn itself on

Reply to
bob haller