How do we "fix" exterior trim to install storm door?

We have a 36" front door, so, silly us, we figured we would use a 36" storm door. Our builder made us a fancy kind of exterior, apparently, that bevels outward in a staristep fashion. We never noticed until we went to install the storm door and found that the "hole" changes from just over 36" to nearly 38" in a stairstep fashion all around the doorway. Is this a common issue, or we just the lucky ones? We are trying to figure out how to detach 1" worth of the exterior moulding on each side to get rid of the stairstep effect and give us a regularly shaped space to build in. But then, what do we use to 'fill the gap'- we'll need an inch on each side.

Reply to
Crossties

Pictures or better explanation of the blockage. I'm picturing the door using = and H, the frame with - and |:

========

If I was going to adjust something it would be the flange of the storm door. Cut it narrower to fill the opening.

Dan Espen