How do I Run a Hot Water Zone Off a Steam Boiler

I want to add a baseboard zone to my basement. the only problem is the baseboard is going to below the water line of the boiler. How do I do it?

thanks

Reply to
madmun

very carefully

your welcome

Vic

Reply to
POPPYPLANK

keep it above the return

Reply to
m Ransley

I did exactly that with an old Putnam boiler, circa 1925. There is a "leg" on the side that I had to tap into. In my case, though, the baseboard was on a upper floor. Worked well. Advice about keeping it above the return is correct. I assume that rules out baseboard in your application, but there are other options.

Reply to
frank1492

Best advice actually. It can be mounted on a wall.

I know of ways to do it at floor level, but they are complicated and require a condensate pump, traps, etc. Possible, just not practical.

I'd go with electric heat if you can't mount the heaters above the waterline. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I can't quite understand why? There's a constant source of hot water coming from the return so what difference would it make if you took it below the water line? I'm confused!

Thanks in advance for any patient explanations!

Reply to
art

If the radiator is put in below the return the condensate from the steam wont return to the boiler by gravity and the radiator will just fill with water. Steam systems work by gravity, A steam condensate pump is more expensive and when it fails your radiator will fill up. He can mount the radiator anywhere higher than the return as long as the water will flow back, it may only mean few inches off the floor .

Reply to
m Ransley

May I call you Mark?

did you read the header?

Hot water zone off a steam boiler in the basement if you had read all of the OPs' post.

I answered very carefully and he did not ask further.

It is very simple to get hot water baseboard heat from a steam boiler as long as you stay below the water line of the steam boiler.

Design, control, and proper installation is not a project that the average homowner should attempt.

This man needs help in his basement.

I have done this successfully about 12 or 13 times...the first one doesnt count cause I had to go back twice to make the congregation happy.

Very Steep Learning Curve

Vic Plank Lancaster PA

Reply to
POPPYPLANK

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (POPPYPLANK) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m29.aol.com:

So how do I do it?

Reply to
madmun

Check this one out.

It can be done...

Reply to
HeatMan

Very carefully

if you understood Heatmans link to Dan Holorans site you may have few problems...there are still control and priority issues

best bet do the walk

Yellow Pages that is

Vic Plank Lancaster PA

without being there and seeing your system and since my remote viewing abilities are failing I cannot with a clear conscience offer advice that could injure you and your family.

Have a great day Vic

Reply to
POPPYPLANK

Heatman

another great bit of advice from the original Steamhead...great link!

I have installed baseboard many times below the water line but never thought it would work above. Once again Dan has taught me something...time to go put another brick or so in the wall

Vic Plank Lancaster PA

Reply to
POPPYPLANK

The heatinghelp link only specifies above the waterline and not more than 30ft. My question is, Is the hook up it the same for below the water line too?

Reply to
madmun

I understood the link perfectly. Just wanted some info from someone who has done it before so I could have gotten a heads up on some of the things I should look out for or stay away from.

thanks Rich

Reply to
madmun

Dan's good for something, ain't he?

Reply to
HeatMan

I can't see it from here, why not post your question on the Wall?

HeatMan