how do i replace a floor mounted toilet with a wall carrier toilet

How do I replace a floor mounted toilet with a wall carrier toilet in regards to the floor waste. Is it fairly easy to reroute the waste pipe from the wall to where the floor waste meets the one in the wall?

Reply to
ernster2008

How do I say this gently? If you have to ask, it is beyond your skill set for a DIY project. Somewhere between trivial and impossible, depending on what access is available from below, and what is behind the wall you want to hang it on. Basically means demolishing that portion of the bathroom, and building back new work. Wall and floor have to be opened up, vent stack may have to be rerouted, wall framing has to be reworked and blocking added (and probably changed from 2x4 to 2x6 to make the plumbing fit painlessly), so on and so on. I consider such a change if bathroom needed a full gut job anyway, but if current toilet and drain setup work, hard to justify the change.

Not a fan of wall-hung toilets anyway, in residential applications. Always afraid they will break off, and I'll have a very embarrassed conversation with the hosts.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Totally agree. Anyone having to ask would: a) Be most surprised by the amount of work, tearing up the floor, tearing out and most likely strengthening the wall, finding out what the soil stack plumbing is etc. etc. b) The time it would take. c) How much it is likely to cost. d) Also agreeing that a very, VERY, solid wall attachment is needed for wall hung toilet. Just consider the leverage that even an occasional person weighing say 200 pounds plus can exert when sitting approx 15 inches out from the wall. And if and when uncle/aunt XYZ ,who has "A bit of a weight problem" occasionally needing more than one airline seat, visits! What are the stats now? Some 35%+ of the USA population is overweight to obese?????? e) At a complete WAG (Wild assed* guess!) one MIGHT be very lucky to get it done for a couple to three thousand dollars. But could easily get into some serious modifications (or a sub standard job!) and also cost considerably more. So, why bother?

  • Seems inadvertently appropriate?
Reply to
terry

This idea is not one of your brightest moments. Simply call a plumbing contractor and pay the people for a comprehensive bid and you will know why the project must be professionally done. Just for openers, in many communities you would be well over the limit beyond which plans and permits are required. Whatever, good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

re: "How do I say this gently? If you have to ask, it is beyond your skill set for a DIY project."

Ya know, I really hate this type of response.

Just because someone asks a question about doing something they never did before doesn't always mean they don't have the skills to do it.

Let me give you a perfect example: When I moved into my house, there was no base for the basement shower . The floor of the shower was the slab itself and the drain was a hole in the slab with a kitchen sink strainer in it. I kid you not. The drain wasn't even centered in the stall...the slab just sloped down in that direction.

I wanted to install a real shower stall with a real base but had never tackled anything related to under-the-slab plumbing before. In fact, I had never really done much plumbing of any kind. I really had no idea what was under the slab, so I asked around about what to expect. I even posted the question in this group (~10 years ago) and got a pretty good answer from someone with a similiar situation.

So armed with some more info, I borrowed a jack hammer, broke up the slab and modified the cast iron fittings to get the drain where I needed it to be. I reframed, rewired and replumbed the entire bathroom and have been using it daily for 10 years.

I'm glad no one told me I couldn't do it simply because I had to ask how.

Reply to
DerbyDad03