How do I Remove Old Formica Kitchen Countertops

Hi Everyone,

What is the best way to remove old formica kitchen counter tops from the wall and on top of the cabinets themselves?

It looks like the countertops are just glued to the cabinets. Will they lift off easy with out damaging the cabinets?

Do you just use a scew driver to pry the counter top splash edge off the wall?

Thanks

Jeff

Reply to
jeff mattison

It's possible.

Not likely. With care you may be able to slice the glue bond with a SawzAll and lift off a section. .

Back splashes are usually part of the counter top and not normally secured to the wall. If the top is free the back splash will come iwth it.

Do more studying on this project and get some help from an experienced person if salvaging cabinetry is important.. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Remove the screws that hold the countertop to the cabinets, and lift it off.

Not if they were glued. But that's not the normal method of fastening them. Normally, countertops are held in place by screws inserted up through corner braces at the tops of the base cabinets, into the bottom of the countertop.

Usually, the backsplash is part of the countertop, and comes off when the countertop does.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Look underneath for screws, you never know often they are not fastened well or at all , Does it lift, no screws, then its glued, how well who knows. Counters are heavy fastening them isnt always necessary for long heavy pieces.

Reply to
m Ransley

Well of course this depends on whether they are factory cabinets and counter tops or ones someone built some years ago. More info would help. What is your plan afterwards? If you are putting on new Formica and the counter to back splash joint is square, just sand the old Formica and cement new on top of it. Look for screws underneath as others have said if these are "factory" counter tops. Back splash and counter top will be one pc. If "built in place" no telling how back splash is attached, to counter top or to wall.

You can saw the entire counter top off, Formica and underlayment, with a reciprocating saw and you don't have to be extremely careful since you new top will likely have a lip extending down over the outside edge of face frames and will cover up jagged saw cut edge, just don't over do it. It was customary when fabricating cabinets in place years ago to nail the underlayment thru the top into the framing then cement Formica or similar material over the top. If this is the case, it will probably be nailed thru into the dividers also.

Walt Conner

Reply to
Walt Conner

Heat and peel. I used a torch -carefully-. I have heard an iron will work also.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Hmm, seems I misread it, I assumed he was talking about removing just the formica.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

"jeff mattison" wrote

It depends on whether the counter is nailed down, or glued. Mine was only glued, so a few good whacks on a pry bar (that's what you need, not a screwdriver) brought the whole thing up.

I had a little 13" section by the stove, that I messed around with first.

Most likely - mine did. Go slow, see how it goes, use the pry bar in the glued joint if you need. As long as there's enough left & even enough to support whatever you're putting down next, you're fine.

Score along the top of the backsplash with a razor, so you don't bring the wall with you. It's likely that the backsplash will come out with the counter, though it may crack at the corner first.

Took about 15 minutes, in the end.

JSH

Reply to
Julie