How Do I Get Rid of Roaches?

Page 2 of 2

German or American? In other words, kitchen roaches or Palmetto Bugs? For most roaches, two things help. First, eliminate damp areas, leaks, drips, etc. Second, eliminate food scraps, particularly pet food. Though German roaches will eat the glue holding boxes together.
German roaches live indoors and are harder to get rid of. Combat Gel works well, as does any of the boric acid poisons, provided you keep them away from kids. A popular trick is to drill through the base of cabinets and spray the powder in, then seal the hole.
If your PCO is spraying, make sure they use Premise or an equivalent. Perhaps three months of regular spray, then once a quarter should do it.
American roaches, Palmetto Bugs, etc. live outside and forage inside for food and water. Again, eliminate food and water sources for them. They will usually migrate back outside. The same baits and sprays work as well.
Keep in mind that roaches that die today could have layed eggs that will hatch in 28 days, leaving hundreds alive after a month. Continuous spraying, even every other week, for a few months will break the cycle. The eggs are virtually impossible to kill.
Of course, if you live up North and can afford it, close the house and turn off the heat for the winter, letting the house deep freeze while you lounge on a tropical beach for a few months. Roaches will be gone when you return. :)
Jeff

That won't work. They have found live roaches in space capsules that were open to space. I used to go to a ski lodge that was pretty much at ambient temp when we left (plumbing drained, heat off) etc. They had roaches. Baits and boric acid is what I recomend and I am in Florida too. Of course if you can live with lizards you won't have any. The anoles in my screen room keep the place bug free withour any chemicals.
Have a look at www.gardensalive.com I've got some stuff there, and liked what I got. I think they have sticky traps for roaches.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus