How do extendable snow brushes work?

Page 2 of 3
On 2/10/2013 7:21 PM, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Several gallons? I think that would be pretty unlikely.
The whole point of a remote starter is you don't need to wait. As you are sitting there eating breakfast or whatever you usually do before leaving you tap the button. The car starts and warms up. Aside from the convenience it is considerably safer because you can actually see out all of the windows.

Charlotte NC passed a law that more or less states that you can not leave a car running and not be in, or next to it. Too many were getting stolen as people were warming them up and going back inside the house. This was probably cars not started remotely,but started with a key and the keys were then left in the car.
On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 10:14:14 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

We have a similar law. I'm not sure if there are exceptions are remote started cars have interlocks and the engine will die as soon as you hit the brake pedal to shift into gear.
Recently though. a young father left his three year old in the car when he ran into a store. Car was taken with the kid in it and he was missing for hours. Father has since been arrested for endangerment.

He is a dumbass.
What is this world coming to? When you need a law to guide people to do something that common sensical?
Recently though. a young father left his three year old in the car when he ran into a store. Car was taken with the kid in it and he was missing for hours. Father has since been arrested for endangerment.
On Feb 12, 7:50 am, "Stormin Mormon"

Stolen without permission from:
http://www.christianpost.com/news/11-year-old-boy-dies-in-blizzard-shelteri ng-in-car-from-winter-storm-nemo-video-89779/#MAUt3MS3DwdGoJtT.99
An 11-year-old boy has died in the blizzard slamming the East Coast this weekend, after becoming overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning. The tragic incident took place while the boy waited in the family's car as his father shoveled snow outside in the winter storm. It has been reported that the 11-year-old's father was outside trying to dig the family's car out of a snow bank in their Dorchester neighborhood, after Boston was hit particularly hard by Winter Storm Nemo this weekend.
The boy was initially helping his father outside too, according to Boston Fire Department spokesman, Steve MacDonald. However, the elements proved too cold for the young boy, so his father started the car's engine and the boy got inside to take shelter.
Unknown to the father, the car's exhaust pipe was covered over by the snow bank and was blocking the fumes from escaping, causing the car to fill up with the toxic fumes, according to AP.
It was also reported that the father later went into respiratory arrest, and both he and his son were rushed to Boston Medical Center, where the father was given emergency treatment. However, tragically the 11-year-old boy was declared dead soon after arriving at the hospital.
Wow, only took a couple minutes, too.
Not like it was a furnace that went bad last year, and took months to build up.
[...]
On 02/12/2013 05:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

So how long before the do-gooders want CO detectors built into every car?

After they install bullet proof glass in cars.
Probably already?
On 02/12/2013 05:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

So how long before the do-gooders want CO detectors built into every car?

Aw, come on. It's for the children.
If there weren't so damn many do-gooders out there trying to protect us from ourselves, this father probably wouldn't have survived to puberty and then this tragedy wouldn't have happened.
On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 17:22:23 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

He is not the only one. At least one other dies the same way in CT. Snow around the exhaust allowed the CO buildup.
On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 10:14:14 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

Just checked the CT law. Talk about dumb, they have a law but will not give you a ticket or fine, just a warning. School busses though, are subject to $117 fines.
Connecticut law prohibits vehicles of all kinds from unnecessary idling for more than 3 minutes. Provisions are made for weather extremes, certain service vehicles and health-related conditions. For text on Anti-Idling Regulations in Effect in Connecticut: R.C.S.A. 22a-174-18 - This regulation applies to ALL vehicles in Connecticut and is enforced by DEEP Field Staff.
Check your stat here http://www.scribd.com/doc/2170989/2008-Idle-Laws-by-State

As soon as anyone steps on the brake to get into gear, the car shuts OFF. I had no idea it was 20 degress in NC.

Figures I've seen are about an ounce of gas per minute. (will vary with engine of course) and at today's prices that is about 3¢ a minute. So, five minutes is 15¢ on a typical day. Maybe a gallon a month in the winter, again in July and August, very little the other temperate months. .
If my car has a half inch of ice, I'm going back to bed.
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote in wrote:

WTF is this supposed to mean?
On 2/10/13 4:09 AM, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Get an ice scraper with a brass blade. Those work. There are a couple at the link Ed provided. I bought some locally years ago. There weren't any available at the stores when I needed more. Amazon had them.

Buy better scrapers. I've had this brush/scraper for well over 5 years. I live where we get lots of snow and ice.
The only problem is the very rare non-locking issue that I mentioned.

I have used a snow shovel to remove deep snow from my windows, but you do run the risk of knicking the paint if you are not careful. I usually try to leave the last inch or two of snow with the shovel, then finish up with the ice scraper.

I've always bought good quality scrapers (without the brush). The one I have now is well over ten years old.

My step-dad used to throw a tarp over his truck when he got home each night. When he got up the next morning to go to work, all he had to do was pull the tarp off with the snow and ice and he was ready to go.
I don't mind scraping the windows though (except for sheets of ice). It gives the car a chance to warm up before I head out, and I can clean all the little areas around the lights and whatnot.
Anthony Watson Mountain Software www.mountain-software.com/about.htm
On 2/10/2013 5:09 AM, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Snow brush? I don't need no stinkin' snow brush.
One day while my bitch was at work, I cleaned out the garage. All the junk shit she was saving is now at the local landfill.
I'll admit I wasn't too popular for a few days but now I park my car in the garage.