How are new Aluminum Seamless gutters attached?

How are new Aluminum Seamless gutters attached?
Does the nail go vertically through the top piece of the gutter that sits under the paper and shingles? Or does the nail go horizontally through the inside gutter into the rafter. Or can they attach either way?
I am getting a reroof, old roof torn off and new roof put on, a ranch style home 4/12 pitch comp shingles. The old gutters that are still up have the nails going horizontally through the inside of the gutter into the rafters.
The reason I ask, I would like to paint the eaves before they attach the gutters. So was thinking they tear off the roof and gutters put on the new roof and then I paint and then they come back out and install the gutters.
The other option is I remove the gutters myself and paint the eaves and the areas where the downspouts go before they start the roof. Let them install the new roof and gutters and then I finish painting the rest of the home.
I am getting the gutters that are already painted and I don't want to get paint on the new gutters and downspouts.
Thanks
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 21:59:09 -0700, "Tube Audio"

I think that's what I have and the gutter spikes are horizontal.

spikes were loose after 22 years and I replaced them with screws.

medium sized house. So they start installing the moment they['re done removing, and maybe the new gutters go first. You'd have to ask them.
And you don't want to be in their way when they're throwing the roof off the roof. Or at least they may not want you to be.

few days, evenif it rains.

Tube Audio wrote:

Have the gutters installed a few days after the roof and after you paint.
If you're clever, you can get paint to match the gutters. If, in addition, you get paint that matches both the gutters and a color that's available in a spray can, you're golden. (Rustoleum's "Camouflage" is one such color). Subsequent touch-ups are really easy.
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 21:59:09 -0700, "Tube Audio"

fall off.

you will die when they fall on you.

Silly putty.

Best way is with something like the "ultra 5" seen here: http://www.seamlessgutterproducts.com/brackets.htm

whatever is used needs to support the outside edge of the gutter.

Best option unless you have already discussed alternate plans with your contractor. If he is planning on having the crew finish in one day and you now want two days it will cost you more. Since it is a ranch (single story) you can pull down the old gutters fairly easily yourself. Usually those giant nails just fall out, but there will be at least on that will be a real PITA to get out.
Disclaimer: It is possible for a *major* downpour to do damage if you have no gutters.

Good - Spikes
Better- Screws
Best- Hidden hangers, screwed
All fasteners should go through fascia, into the rafter tails. At minimum 2.0" O.C. with 2' O.C. rafters, or 2'8" O.C. with 16" O.C rafters.