House painting - price estimate

Page 1 of 2

Im trying to get an idea of how much it would cost to have a house painted (outside.) This is in the Denver Metro. A couple of pics of the house:
http://hous.shutterfly.com/22 http://hous.shutterfly.com/25
It is a 1966 ranch, brick walls, so were talking about the soffit, the part around the roof, door frames, misc wood trim here and there, you get the idea. The house is 1,400 sq ft, plus an attached 2-car garage.
I know its hard to give an estimate given the above vague description, but Im looking for a ballpark number, so Im an informed customer when I meet with the painter to get an estimate.
TIA, Bubba
On Oct 10, 4:11pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Probably $3000 or More that is of course with a licensed contractor.Which you would want For liability purposes! John http://www.myinfoviews.com /

You want an INSURED contractor. In many areas licencing is totally optional.
snyder dot ontario dot canada says...

Is any community stupid enough to require licensing of painters (other than general business licensing)?
-- Keith

Is any community stupid enough to require licensing of painters (other than general business licensing)?
--
Keith

They gave up on that in the late 1800s when they made it a law that in order

Hey painters have to be licensed by the state contractor licensing Board!!
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:11:05 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

So tell me.............how does asking someone on the internet who doesnt have a clue that pulls a number out of their ass make you an informed customer?? Wouldnt getting a couple estimates from contractors in your area that actually come out and look at your house give you a much better idea of what you should pay for painting your house? Bubba
Bubba wrote:

You know you can't trust contractors to give a fair price! He needs to be able to bargain the painters down. And why is licensing and insurance so damned important? I'll bet you could get a much better price from someone who doesn't have the added expense of insurance. And if he has a license, he would have to follow all those regulations. Shortcuts mean a better price for you. Trust me. Look for the guy in the raggedy clothes and the old rusty truck and maybe doesn't speaka da english so good.. He doesn't have high expenses and thus needs less money to live. He's desperate and will give you a great price and an almost as good as the expensivel licensed, insured robber.......oops, I mean contractor.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

What a painting nightmare. All those thick high shrubs. I have no idea what it will cost but you can bet there's gonna be a premium for working around them!

I'd agree - those tall ones need to go. And for the cost of painting it twice with good paint you can have aluminum soffit, fascia, and gable siding and nevever have to paint it again in your lifetime. We had the aluminum siding on our house repainted this year after 38 years. The painter remarked on how nice it was NOT to have tall shrubs against the house (just a cherry tree that needed to be trimmed back a bit) House is a 2 story with brick veneer bottom and aluminm siding top, and aluminum siding on attached garage. Cost us $1700 for 2 coats of 3rd generation latex - no soffits (recently done in vinyl)
I know its hard to give an estimate given the above vague description, but Im looking for a ballpark number, so Im an informed customer when I meet with the painter to get an estimate.
I'd do it for $400

I'll do it for 350 if the shrubs get torched first. I wanna be the one who torches 'em though. And hey, if you want the soffits evergreen black I can probably skim another 25 off.
end the painting forever, with alunimum soffit and fascia, etc.
do it once do it right, and relax
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yeah, and watch the trapped water rot the wood out, like on this place. Not a fan of skinning wood, at least not if you don't make damn sure to provide drain holes. If you go that route, REPLACE the fascia with plastic wood, and take down the old soffit and build back with ventilated alumimum, sloped properly so it doesn't aim water at the wall. I'd like to go back in time and beat the SOB that 'improved' this place. When/if I get around to it, it is gonna cost me a lot of bucks to make it right.
But as to OP's question- how long do you want it to last? The painting part is trivial- the hand labor to do the prep work and spot repair and priming adds up quick. Local handyman may charge a few hundred to throw paint up there, while a pro painter will take 2 weeks to do the work right, and charge upwards of $1500 (swag number). Like the others said, get several estimates, and make sure they all include scraping, feather sanding, priming, epoxy-stabilizing or replacing any mushy spots, etc, etc.
-- aem sends...
On Oct 10, 7:11pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It is impossible to give an honest estimate without looking at the house in person. How much prep is needed? (Caulking, sanding, priming, scraping) One coat of paint or two? Are those shrubs going to be cut back? What brand of paint would you like? Get estimates from local people (hopefully from ones who don,t hire illegals). The lowest estimate is not always the best deal. Ask your neighbors for referrals.
On Oct 10, 6:11pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Nobody knows the condition of the paint so nobody can bid it, but it seems you dont care about a quality job and think its only just paint that it needs. There isnt much to paint, who knows about prep.Those bushes and trees are ugly, hide everything, make work expensive and keep in moisture, do some work.
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:11:05 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Personlly I think anyone that paints a brick house is a complete dumbass, but then that's just me!
<Been painting forever> wrote in message wrote:

What is dumb about painting soffits and door frames?

Have them done in a material that does not need painting. That is what I did.

Soffits and door jambs aren't brick you frickin nimrod.