House Humidifier Part 2

Basic Problem - After having this humidifier installed a few days ago, my house is still a dry as a BONE!!!

after thinking about it a while, it seems to me that the only time it puts humidity into the air is when the furnace is actually blowing through the house and an air exchange is taking place.

well if my furnace only pops on for a couple minutes an hour how would this sufficiently humidify my house?

would leaving the blower and not the furnace on help? and is there anyway for the aprilaire to turn on the blower automatically when the humidity level drops to low?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Basic Problem - After having this humidifier installed a few days ago, my house is still a dry as a BONE!!!

after thinking about it a while, it seems to me that the only time it puts humidity into the air, is when the furnace is actually blowing through the house and an air exchange is taking place.

well if my furnace only pops on for a couple minutes an hour how would this sufficiently humidify my house?

would leaving the blower on and not the furnace on help? and is there anyway for the aprilaire to turn on the blower automatically when the humidity level

drops to low?

Steve

ps. i had a problem, sorry if this got double posted.

Reply to
Steve

If it's cold enough to lower the humidity to the point where you require a humidifier the furnace shouldn't just run for a few minutes an hour. More uniform heating (comfort) is achieved my having the furnance/blower run more. You don't say if it is oil fired, gas or electric but I'd look at reducing the firing rate if possible so that the blower will run more.

I have chosen my firing rate (.85 gal/min) to cause the furnace to run

100% at my design minimum outside temperature of -20F. It's a whole lot more comfortable than when it was fired at 1.5 gal/min.

RB

Steve wrote:

Reply to
RB

Probably won't as you see.

Yes, it proably would. Do you have any instructions or recommendations from the manufactuere? Is it wired that the blower circuit can control the humidifier?

I'm sure it can. You'd need a humidistat and probably a relay wired in someplace. I don't know enough about the system to say exactly how it is best to do, but given enough time and money it can be made to work. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

True.

Can we say oversized furnace??? If this is true, during the cold times when low humidity is a problem, then it sure sounds like your first problem is an oversized furnace. Too big is not any better than too small.

It could be done, but it will not work as well as you may think. It needs the warm air to really work well. You would also need to some custom designing of a control device taking a number of factors into consideration to have it work properly and not chance damaging something.

You could do some rewiring of the Aprilair so it is triggered by the fan and not the call for heat and then just set the furnace to fan full time. The Aprilair controls will turn it off when the humidity gets up to set values.

I suggest having a professional come in and take a look at your heating system. I suspect that is really your problem. He can also check out the humidifier to make sure it is set up right and working as intended.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I hope you don't read any advice by a fellow named CBHvac, he hasn't been the same after the stroke. I've heard that his wife is considering putting him in a home. He can't even carry tools any more.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It would be nice if you two could call a truce. You both have something to add here. Like all of us each of you has made errors.

You really don't need to try and demolish the other to make yourselves look good. It just ends up making both of you look like a couple of kids fighting in the school yard.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Whatever...I never will claim to be perfect, nor an angel.

Nope...I dont try to do that. I am what I am. People that know me to be a trained pro that continues to train. Chris is a hack that has one thing on his mind..whatever his boss did.

After his meltdown in alt.hvac, where he went off the deep end, you can count on one thing, his posting days are about to close

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

I am just fine Chris...are you still pissed that after your meltdown in alt.hvac where you actually tried to spoof myself and another user, you got caught? Very VERY unbecoming of you Christopher...I really would hate to have to post the entire thread someplace....like on the other yahoo group that I am a moderator on that proves it...

Now...put this tool bag on and allow me to toss you over the roof....cause thats what you are gonna wish happened if you keep this behaviour up.

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

Some where after I started posting and reading in home repair and HVAC, CBH started calling me a hack. Well, he's entitled to his opinion. I've never tried to boast, or claim heating experience I've not had. I've been an installer part time for about three years, and never claimed any different.

CBH has continued to heap abuse and crude language on me continuously for the last couple years. I've done my best to be polite as long as humanly possible. I continue to be doing my best to be polite.

I must gently disagree with you about "trying to make msyelf look good". I am not returning two plus years of abuse in order to "make myself look good". I am returning abuse because being polite to CBH only results in more abuse. And I'm trying a different technique now.

I did let CBH out of the killfile briefly about a week ago. I read earlier today him telling a homeowner things about my working experience which are simply false. CBH and I have never met, and he would have no way to know if I've ever installed a humidifier or not.

So, he's lying to the original poster about my work experience. I'm telling a few lies about his stroke, and how his wife is considering putting him in an old folks home. I think that apologies are in order on both sides. When he spends about two years apologizing for two or more years of using crude and offensive language and heaping abuse on me, I'll consider returning the apology.

If CBH thinks that he's got some kind of case for improper action, posting or whatever, I suggest that he take a good long look in the miror (push the call button, and have your nurse bring you one). CBH is one of the most crude language, abusive name calling posters I've ever had the misfortune to read. And if I believe some of the other posters, he's also a header forger. If CBH wants to start some sort of action, I'd suggest to make sure your own history is clear, and that there are no insulting or crude or forged headers on the usenet from your account.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You must understand Stormon, that HVAC ( Heating, Ventilation & Airconditioning) is a solemn religiion to some very incompetant people, they actually belive doing a pathetic job is standard practice. Thus HVAC was probably insulted that you did not get a trademan to your home to do the job, and that it may have been done properly. Almost akin to having sacrament at home with only 1 priesthood member present and no Ok from Bisphopric .

From my experience in all areas of Instrumentation from Process, avionics ,environmental, meteorological & analytical. I can treuely state that of all areas HVAC has the true HACKS. Plumbers are brilliant in comparison. I have never had an office with decent airconditioning because of these hacks. Despite Instruments being readily available, I have never witnessed one trademan bother to take outlet flow measurements or be able to balance a system propely, at best some buy cheap anemometers & try to measure velocity and calculate flow rates though obviously forgetting math is involved. At worst they use a $5 thermometer or lick their finger and stick it in the air stream.

I can understand what your suffering Stormon, most of the world suffers either too hot or too cold because of the incompetance of these, the most uneducated tradesman ever to use a tool, in fact I doubt most have even done a trade course.

So go for it Stormon, do it yourself. You most certainly cannot get worse results than they do.

regards Greg

Reply to
Gregory Randall