House addition questions

I understand that. However, I do not see why problems may arise if one contractor will excavate, I will build footing forms, another pour footings and the third contractor will build basement walls. I saw a TV show when a homeowner put chicken wire and then contractor applied stucco.

Reply to
Alexander Galkin

I doubt I'm the only one that sees this, but you never post anything of value and you always piggyback on someone else's response. Just like that little dog that follows the big bulldog. "Hey, hey, hey Spike! Get 'em Spike, get 'em!" Also, just do everyone a favor and try not to be the moderator of the NG.

Reply to
John

? Second I hate so much to deal with contractors. I had very little ? experience with contractors and almost all of it is negative. I would ? rather learn to do and then do something myself then spend time ? calling several tradesmen, collecting quotes, bargaining with them, ? supervising them, etc.

Best of luck, and let us know how it comes out!

Reply to
Lyle B. Harwood

? However, I do not see why problems may arise if one contractor will ? excavate, I will build footing forms, another pour footings and the ? third contractor will build basement walls.

You will.

Best of luck, and let us know how it comes out!

Reply to
Lyle B. Harwood

I'm sure to get a lot of negative responses for this, but here goes:

Go to the library and read every book you can on residential construction. Rent the excavation equipment and do everything yourself. Have a licensed engineer draw and stamp the prints and ask him about any code questions you may have. I built my own ~3600 sqft house. I did everything on it and 95% of my knowledge came from the local library and questions posed to the local building officials and engineer. The inspector never came back twice for the same inspection. I spent ~$165k for materials and land. I sold it a year later for $227k. The equity I made was well worth the late nights and weekends.

Residential construction is one of the easier trades. If you have a small to moderate amount of common sense, can read and understand codes written to a

9th grade level, and remember most of your high school math, you'll have no problems.

Biggest thing of all is be prepared and organized prior to starting the project and you'll do ok.

Reply to
John

I could be wrong, but you shouldn't have any problems with collapsing the existing foundation. Once the subfloor is in, which yours has been for ~50 years, an effective box is created. That's why it's normally advised to not backfill until the subfloor is installed. Just don't hit the wall with the hoe.

Reply to
John

Do you mean 50 ft wide and 6 ft long/deep?

Reply to
John

In large commercial buildings, excavation next to an existing foundation is a very touchy (and expensive) endeavor, and involves some serious inspection (before and after) and monitoring of the existing structure. I can't imagine it being such a casual job on a residence but I could be wrong.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

On 12/5/2004 1:48 AM US(ET), John took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

What about the current joist ends and exterior walls that rely upon the existing foundation for support?

Reply to
willshak

We're only at the excavation point in this thread.

Reply to
John

? n large commercial buildings, excavation next to an existing foundation is ? a very touchy (and expensive) endeavor, and involves some serious inspection ? (before and after) and monitoring of the existing structure. I can't imagine ? it being such a casual job on a residence but I could be wrong.

In my experience, all here in Seattle, with commercial the issue is the duty to maintain horizontal support to an adjacent property- the doctrine called "late support".

In my experience with residential, the units are usually free standing, far enough apart and shallow enough that there isn't significant danger of removing horizontal support.

Obviously, exceptions occur on hills and in medium density multi family, and in those cases your statements are absolutely correct, but for the most part, in many Seattle neighborhoods, you aren't going to disturb your neighbor's land by removing your foundation.

The process is, therefore, quite a bit more casual after an initial inspection.

Reply to
Lyle B. Harwood

I'm not talking about "far apart", I'm talking about excavating directly next to an existing foundation. In commercial construction it is done rarely, and at great expense and effort under strict scrutiny. Existing cracks are meticulously mapped, strain gages are installed, cubic dollars are spent. And damage is guaranteed, the goal becomes to minimize it. It is never treated casually, especially by the engineers and insurance companies involved. Maybe the poster is looking to excavate a distance from his existing foundation, but I got the impression his addition basement was to be directly adjacent to it.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

I just rcently drew my own house plans and I have an engineer doing the structural plans right now. Not sure if you mean directly stamping an owners drawings or if you mean you wouldn't stamp drawings you drew and calculated based upon an owners drawings, but I had no problems finding several engineers that would take my owner builder drawings and produce and stamp a set of structural drawings and calculations. It was pretty cheap too.

-Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Smith

Jeff:

The procedure you describe is acceptable and I would do the job that way myself. The OP was describing a scenario wherein he expected the architect or engineer to stamp drawings prepared by the home owner. That is the situation that is not allowed under most state laws.

BTW, I'm glad the process worked well for you. I try to set my fees low enough to encourage home owners to take advantage of having an engineered set of plans. Yet, I don't want to underprice the value of the service received.

I guess I must be doing something right since I have consistently maintained at least a 4 week backlog of work.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

Reply to
Anthony M. Ippolito