hotpoint washer fill problem

I have a hotpoint washer, not a newer model, which won't fill unless the body of the drainage hose is elevated higher than the desired water level.

For example, if the drainage hose is left at ground level, the washer won't fill; it will try to fill, but the water shoots straight out the drain.

In order for the washer to fill for a large load, the drainage hose must be elevated at least to the fill level of a large load.

Any ideas? Surely this is not the way the washer was designed to behave.

Best regards, krnntp

Reply to
KR

Yes, it is the way it's designed to behave. The drain hose has to be high enough to ensure that the weight of water doesn't push itself out of the hose...it's like siphoning petrol out of a car's tank.

Reply to
Mad Mac

In that case, why didn't Hotpoint simply place the drain hose outlet further up on the body of the washer? That would relieve the user from having to worry about creating different shapes with the hose - in my case, a giant inverted "U" to get the hose above the washer and then bring it back to ground level where the drain is located.

The way the connector for the drainage hose is at the bottom of the washer makes absolutely no sense from the point of view of routine use. A drain valve which opens and shuts at different points in the cycle would make a lot more sense.

Best - krnntp

Reply to
KR

... because the drainage hose outlet *is* at the bottom of the washer. Did I mention that? Didn't think so. So actually, there's not so much a siphon effect as there is a straight "through drainage" effect.

Seems like very stupid design, if there's really nothing malfunctioning with the washer.

Grr. Best regards - krnntp

Reply to
KR

of the drainage hose is elevated higher than the desired water level.

fill; it will try to fill, but the water shoots straight out the drain.

elevated at least to the fill level of a large load.

the drain hose on all washers is normally set about the height of the top of the washer.... wonder why??? so the water does not flow out the hose when you want water to stay inside the machine..... the pump in the washer is what pumps out the water to overcome this height when you are in the drain cycle of the washer... and yes it was designed to do what it is doing....

Reply to
jim

In which case, I seriously question the sanity of the Hotpoint designers who placed the hose outlet at ground level on this particular washing machine.

Best - krnntp

Reply to
KR

of the drainage hose is elevated higher than the desired water level.

fill; it will try to fill, but the water shoots straight out the drain.

elevated at least to the fill level of a large load.

Hi,

The drain hose always must be close to as high as the body part of the washer, if the drain hose is lower than the water level inside the water will syphone out.

the FAQ sectioons.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

I experienced the same situation with, coincidently, a Hotpoint washer. Perhaps all makes of washers behave the same way in this regard, I wouldn't know. Why do you have the drain hose laying at ground level? Are you draining the washer into a floor drain? I think they design the washers to drain into a laundry tub or elevated drain pipe.

Reply to
Loose Cannon

of the drainage hose is elevated higher than the desired water level.

fill; it will try to fill, but the water shoots straight out the drain.

elevated at least to the fill level of a large load.

I've never seen a washer that *was not* designed this way, though I am sure they are out there.

Your unit is functioning normally.

Steve B.

Reply to
Joe

Yep, indeed. This means I will need to build a rise with some PVC pipe, I think. The flexible drain hose is nothing but a large headache.

Best - krnntp

Reply to
KR

That's the way the *universe* was designed, it's call gravity! You can read about your particular phenomena with washers and dishwashers at the following link:

My washer doesn't seem to be able to hold water. What's the problem?

It's easier for an elbowed drain hose to be held in a sink basin or stand pipe if its center of gravity is lower (the main length of the hose below). A drain hose out the top of the machine running to an equally high sink would need some sort of attachment to hold it in place when water is forced out of it or else flood city!

More components to break down. I'm sure you're familiar with the K.I.S.S. concept?

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Eh?

As other posters in this thread have pointed out, most brands of washer *do* have the drain hose higher up on the back of the washer. A drain hose which is connected so insecurely as to fall away from the top of a washer when full is also a drain hose which is probably going to leak water at the junction anyway...

Best - krnntp

Reply to
KR