Hot water tank pressure relief

Some areas of the US will not allow the temp/pressure valve to be vented inside. at least not any more. When one goes on temperature it can be really dramatic. It will vent until the temperature/pressure is low enough for the valve to reset. Diameter of the vent depends on the length of the pipe and number of elbows. PVC is a really bad idea. If the relieve valve goes cause of temperature then the PVC is going to melt. All of the drains I have seen are usually in copper pipe. I remember seeing a really old installation done in galvanized pipe.

Check with a pro in your area

Reply to
SQLit

I was staring at this valve the other day - yea, I have no life to speak of - and saw how the end was not vented into anything. There aren't any drains nearby but I was thinking that a PVC standpipe with a hose coupling at the bottom would handle the catch and the draining. THe question is, how much water is vented when a valve opens? That would determine the diameter of the standpipe. TIA, C

Reply to
C & M

The most common amount is just a few ounces or less. If the valve fails, it could be thousands of gallons, but this kind of failure would be very rare. I think the most usually would be only a gallon or two.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

From a few ounces to a few hundred gallons. Sometimes these valves open and do not reseat properly and the water will continue to run until you shut the inlet valve.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Since there isn't a drain anywhere near I'm wondering if I could rout this upward and out the sill ot the outside. But then I'd have a critter or insect issue. Guess I'd better call a plumber.

Reply to
C & M

IIRC, The relief valve discharge pipe should be 15 feet or less with a maximum of 4 elbows. That would be 3/4" pipe or tubing. More elbows or more pipe would require larger pipe, like 1". Under NO circumstances should the pipe run uphill for even a short distance. It should terminate outside between 6" and 18" above finish grade.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch