Hot Cooker Wire

Can someone tell me if the wire from a cooker normally get's hot / warm. It is hot enough to hold but does get pretty warm. The cooker is

2450watts and is connected via a fitted 13A plug to a brand new connection in the wall (fitted by a qualified electrician).

If this isn't normal how easy is it to replace the cord?

Regards.

Reply to
pdrrose

Maybe, thats alot of power.

Reply to
ransley

Since you mention a 13A plug, that suggests to me that you are in the UK, where the supply voltage is 240 volts. That's a fraction over 10A, which is OK for the plug, but what gauge is the wire? Is this the cord (and plug) that was already installed on the cooker when it was new?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Dear Perce,

You're right I'm in the UK and the wire is the one that was factory fitted as is the plug.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Phil

Reply to
pdrrose

A factory fitted cord that gets 'warm' its entire length (not just near the connections at one end) should be OK. If if the current gets far above Perce's 10A, the fuse in the plug will blow.

Another clue to UK is "fitted".

This question is pretty generic. There are surprisingly large differences between electrical practice in the US/Canada (which this newsgroup primarily is) and the UK. A safer source is uk.d-i-y

Reply to
bud--