Horse keeps unplugging cord to stock tank (drinking water)

Page 1 of 3
I have a horse in the barn who keeps unplugging the cord for the water tank heater in there, which provides their drinking water. She's a youngster and I really dont understand why she does this. I never had other horses do this. I cant really keep her away from the outlet, so I'm looking for some way to make the cord unpluggable. I suppose I could build a wooden box with a hinged door to mount over the outlet, but that takes work. I'm looking for a simple solution, which allows me to still get to the (GFI) outlet.
Any ideas?
Note: Unplugging the cord from the outlet causes the water tank to freeze for her and the other horses, and they need water. Outdoor horses can temporarily eat snow for "water" but not those indoors. (Of course the outdoor ones have heated water tanks too).

How about a weatherproof in-use outlet cover such as this: (Amazon.com product link shortened)51609615&sr=8-2&keywords=weatherproof+outlet+cover
John Grabowski http://www.MrElectrician.TV
On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 16:55:16 -0800 (PST), John G

That would be perfect if they made them of metal. That molded plastic in cold weather is not real durable around large animals. I had one of those on the outside of my garage some years ago, and it shatered in cold weather, WITHOUT any large animals nearby. It froze down, and when I pried on it with a pocket knife, it broke. I think the sun makes that plastic weak too. I went looking for a metal one, and they are not made. I always wonder why they cant make stuff like that which will last....
Thanks for the help.
On 12/31/2015 9:27 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Most metals are electric conductive. It might wear through the insulation and short to ground.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/31/2015 6:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

If she's related to Mr. Ed, perhaps you could have a chat and reason with her. If not, you're going to have to get off your a** and do something about it.
Yes, it'll take work. ANYTHING other than sitting here whining about it and asking what you can do that won't involve you expending any effort will!
Think about it a bit. If you make the plug, "unpluggable" that will give her a better chance of biting through the cord. If so... Problem Solved!
Hard wire the heater to the outlet box and be done with it.

OP suggests the heater is on GFCI. I'd be tempted to ground the stock tank and usu a regular breaker. And, hard wire it in. Preferably in wire mold or some metal sheathing.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/1/2016 8:11 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I was aware of that. Hard wiring would not negate the protection of the GFCI, he'd just make the connection "downwind" of the GFCI. Everything there is protected. IIRC, most of those cables connecting stock tank heaters are covered with SS spring around the cord. But then the OP doesn't want to expend any energy to get this problem fixed, he just wants to wish it away. Good luck with that!<g>
Unquestionably Confused posted for all of us...

Yeah, this guy also does not like to expend any money either; or search time; or thinking-but I don't know if has a brain, he hasn't shown any evidence yet.
--
Tekkie

I was going to suggest liquidtite but you'd have to unwire the heater to get it over the cord plus it might present a shock hazard. Do you have any hard plastic hose around? Do you have a fencer you're not using? Would it be practical to expose the hot wire just by the plug in?

On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 6:37:38 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Check out this plug lock for $4.95:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 17:25:36 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Hey, I like that! I can still get to the GFI buttons, and it's easy to remove when I need to unplug in warm weather! This is why I like to post stuff like this on here. I would have never found this thing randomly....
Thanks for the great help!
Actually, I think I can make something like that. I got some scrap 1/4" plexiglass in the shed, and a jigsaw.
Temporarily, I just screwed a small plastic box (made for a pair of shoes) over the outlet....
On 12/31/2015 9:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

I hope you had TSA come out and search your horse for contraband screw drivers. Metal detector is needed.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

That's because you never look. You depend on everyone else to bail you out, continuously.
--
Tekkie

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 17:25:36 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

This one which might be farther down on the same page looks good.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)T4ZYTHWBY2DXWVZTM2
It straps the child's hand to the outlet, so she can't touch some other more dangerous outlet.
Also it's only 10 dollars and she can do chores for you, dishes, cleaning, cooking, for a little food.
The bottom picture is instructive. It shows how it doesn't lock the reciprocating saw from being turned on, but does keep a child from unplugging it.

Actually, thats not a bad idea. I had a horse chewing the wood inside the barn once and I ran some bare wire along the boards and hooked it to a fencer. No more chewing, even after I eventually unplugged the fencer!!!
I think they do stuff like this just because they are bored. They get enough feed, but it seems that in winter, they just get bored. However, I think we do too. Winter is the most boring time of year.
Horse catalogs sell what they call "Horse Balls". Just a basketball sized ball made of rubber with a handle. I bought one, hung it up, and the horses never touched it. Just another money making gimmick that dont work!

I've heard of guys putting old bowling balls in hog pens to keep them entertained.

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 21:51:12 -0600, "Dean Hoffman"

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 21:51:12 -0600, "Dean Hoffman"

You are too cynical. Just because your horses didn't like it, or where it was put, not enough reason to think others don't.

See what I mean? And the other two answers to show that animals do play with these things.

Different animals do different things. Heck, dogs play with darn near anything. Horses are not very playful with objects, but are with each other, and often are playful with people too. For example, we have a shetland pony. Whenever I wear a winter knit cap, he has to pull it off my head. Which to me, means he wants to play, and I play with him in return, and he gets to wear my hat, and gets my gloves on his ears, and so on... The small ponies are usually more playful than the bigger horses, but I have seen exceptions. But small pony or bigger horse, dont have any interest in baseballs, footballs, basketballs, frisbes or the balls sold for horses. I've tried all of the above, hanging and on the ground. But I have seen a couple youtube videos of horses kicking and chasing around some sort of ball. But I think they are trained to do that, rather than just doing it because they want to. On the other hand, a dog will chase darn near anything that moves or rolls, and many cats too.
Of course, in the end, all critters are individuals and just like people, they all have their own personalties. I once saw a pony on tv who lives with a dog, and acts just like the dog. Unusual, but pretty cool....
On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 9:59:02 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

My dog licks his paws and washes his face, just like my cat does.