Hoover Steam Vac, brushes stopped - repair/service manual?

Page 2 of 2

***Another Update***
When I got the replacement turbine gear assembly, I took it apart to see if there were any improvements.
They did put a much better barring inside, maybe that was the root cause of the failure?
Anyhow... works fine for now.
Later,
Scott
Scott Wrote:

Scott,
I found this very helpful. I have managed to get mine apart but I do not see anything broke. Can you tell me if you can turn the gears by hand using the brush? I hope this makes sense. If not please contact me via e-mail. Thank you Kim
--
kstar24

Scott Found your pictures very useful. I opened mine up and fortunetly did not find a broken turbine disc but instead just a very jammed disc. I slowly hand turned the gear, important word is slowly so as not to break the disc, and managed to get the disc through a rough spot. The disc rotated freely after this so I assembled everything back together and the vacuuam works fine. I wonder what caused it to get stuck in the first place. Hoover definetly could have used some better anti corroding bearings.
Kim if your still having problems, I wouldn't recommend turning the gears at the brushes but instead try to disassemble everything and get down to the turbine disc and then try to slowly rotate the disc.
Thanks For your help Scott
kchinery had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Hoover-Steam-Vac-brushes-stopped-repair-service-manua-158746-.htm : Thanks for this very informative information Scott...........I had the same problem with the brushes and if it hadn't been for your pictures would never have figured out the problem. I took mine apart and got lucky, the gears were locked up but in good shape.........put it back together and working like new..........Ken
------------------------------------- Scott wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 322390 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Hoover-Steam-Vac-brushes-stopped-repair-service-manual-158636-.htm Lefty wrote:
Scott wrote:

-------------------------------------
For a Hoover SteamVac model F5893-900, If your Brushes don't turn, and the Brush Indicator doesn't move, try to following: Be sure the Brush Speed selector isn't OFF, Have the handle NOT in the upright position, and the Brush Indicator screen is cleaned. (See page 7 instructions) UNPLUG the cleaner, remove the Cleaning Solution tank and Recovery tanks. Release the handle and lay it on the floor. Refer to the Diagram. Remove screws 1 and 2, LOOSEN but don't remove screw 3. Remove the Duct Assy (6), lift off the indicator knob (9) Flip the unit over and remove the two BLACK screws (33) that hold the Hood (12) on. Flip the unit back over, and With a screw-driver pry off the tabs under the back of the hood. Breaking the Black plastic around the tabs will not effect the unit. Lift the hood off. You Do Not have to take the clear plastic cover off the hood. (silver screws). Flip the unit over, and remove the long silver screws (34) that hold the turbine assy on from below, and then flip the unit over and remove the two screws (14) on the front of the turbine assy. Pull the fluid hose off, and the turbine assy should slide out off the front. At This Point, See if the Brush Assy will turn Manually. Sometimes items jam in the brush gears. Use a screw-driver and try to turn the Turbine Assy gears. (where the brush assy connects) It will move SLOWLY. (reduction gears) If this is jammed, the shafts of the turbine may be dry and need grease. WD40 Will be Washed Off, you need GREASE. Sometimes the turbine wheel will crack, other times the shaft on the turbine will dry-out (grease). Brush Assy Jammed: If one of the tabs INSIDE the Brush Assy breaks off, and Jamms the gears, the brushes will either not turn, or only go around Almost Once and then stop. (PLASTIC Parts) The Brush Assy (32) is held in the Main Body (35) by 4 push-clips. Slowly and Carefully pry these back with a screwdriver blade, and the Brush Assy will drop from the Main Body. Once out, there are 6 clips (3 on a side) that hold the Clear Plastic Sides on the Brush Assy. From either end pry the sides apart, as you work your way down the side clips with a small flat screwdriver. Pry the small clips until the clear side releases, and go to the next clip. Once the Sides are removed, the brushes will drop out, except for the brush with the Brush Indicator on it. Look for Broken Items/Dirt/Ect jamming the movement of the gears, and remove it. Re-assemble the Brush Assy in the reverse order, Being Careful not to break any of the clips. Push the Brush Assy back up into the Main Body until the clips 'Click'.
Lefty wrote:

http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Hoover-Steam-Vac-brushes-stopped-repair-service-manual-158636-.htm
http://www.vacpartswarehouse.com/Hoover-F5893-s/755.htm
------------------------------------- http://www.vacpartswarehouse.com/Hoover-F5893-s/755.htm See the web site for the parts Exploded Diagram. (Page 2 for above repair)
Scott wrote:

Hi, No spare belt?
replying to Scott, jackie wrote: I realize this thread is old, but, my steam vac is having this problem, what I have found so far is the little green plastic piece that going to the turbine is twisted off, but when I turn it on without the brushes on the little square where the that piece goes doesn't spin, so I don't know if I just need a new brush set or a brush and a turbine motor. Hope someone can help. the link Scott put up doesn't work anymore.
On Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:44:02 PM UTC-6, jackie wrote:

-repair-service-manual-158636-.htm

Jackie, unfortunately it sounds like you will need at least a new brush set , and possibly a new turbine. You may get lucky and find that like a previ ous poster did the spring has fallen off thus not allowing any air into the turbine. To diagnose further will require you to almost completely disass emble the bottom portion of the cleaner. Not sure if you are mechanically inclined enough to be comfortable doing that, or if you may know someone wh o is. Worse case scenario is you have to take it to an appliance service c enter to get them to look at it. If you go that route I would recommend te lling them that you do not want to pay more than X amount of dollars to fix it, as you can buy a brand new one for around $200. Hope this helps and g ood luck.
replying to jackie, Jackie wrote:

turbine is

Scott
Hi here"s what i did, first might sure that that green square pin isn't twisted off, if it is replace the brushes. if you can put something in the square hole in the bottom of the machine where the pin fits, if it turns the turbine is it ok, if not you have a bad turbine( when going to purchase one, compare it to the one you have.) The brushes will not spin if the handle is locked up, it has to be in the push position.
replying to Jackie, Chris wrote:

replace
where
turbine(
push
I am having this same problem, but the links with the diagrams and repair manuals are broken. Does anyone have a saved copy of them?
I had 2 units that over time failed, brushes quit turning. the local service center claimed the problem was from using the wrong detergent.....
service cost more than a new unit,so i bought a new one but then the second one failed after using only hoover detergent.....
so i tossed the plastic junk and pulled up all the remaining carpet.....
I'd have said "well, it's broken, can't do any worse". Took it apart, and looked for broken gears, broken drive belts, etc. If you're repair minded, or know someone who is. Maybe they can be fixed.
On 9/6/2013 10:06 PM, bob haller wrote:

turning. the local service center claimed the problem was from using the wrong detergent.....

one but then the second one failed after using only hoover detergent.....

remaining carpet.....