Hoover Steam Vac, brushes stopped - repair/service manual?

replying to Scott, jackie wrote: I realize this thread is old, but, my steam vac is having this problem, what I have found so far is the little green plastic piece that going to the turbine is twisted off, but when I turn it on without the brushes on the little square where the that piece goes doesn't spin, so I don't know if I just need a new brush set or a brush and a turbine motor. Hope someone can help. the link Scott put up doesn't work anymore.

Reply to
jackie

Jackie, unfortunately it sounds like you will need at least a new brush set , and possibly a new turbine. You may get lucky and find that like a previ ous poster did the spring has fallen off thus not allowing any air into the turbine. To diagnose further will require you to almost completely disass emble the bottom portion of the cleaner. Not sure if you are mechanically inclined enough to be comfortable doing that, or if you may know someone wh o is. Worse case scenario is you have to take it to an appliance service c enter to get them to look at it. If you go that route I would recommend te lling them that you do not want to pay more than X amount of dollars to fix it, as you can buy a brand new one for around $200. Hope this helps and g ood luck.

Reply to
jmculak

Hi here"s what i did, first might sure that that green square pin isn't twisted off, if it is replace the brushes. if you can put something in the square hole in the bottom of the machine where the pin fits, if it turns the turbine is it ok, if not you have a bad turbine( when going to purchase one, compare it to the one you have.) The brushes will not spin if the handle is locked up, it has to be in the push position.

Reply to
Jackie

I am having this same problem, but the links with the diagrams and repair manuals are broken. Does anyone have a saved copy of them?

Reply to
Chris

I had 2 units that over time failed, brushes quit turning. the local service center claimed the problem was from using the wrong detergent.....

service cost more than a new unit,so i bought a new one but then the second one failed after using only hoover detergent.....

so i tossed the plastic junk and pulled up all the remaining carpet.....

Reply to
bob haller

I'd have said "well, it's broken, can't do any worse". Took it apart, and looked for broken gears, broken drive belts, etc. If you're repair minded, or know someone who is. Maybe they can be fixed.

. Christ> I had 2 units that over time failed, brushes quit

turning. the local service center claimed the problem was from using the wrong detergent.....

one but then the second one failed after using only hoover detergent.....

remaining carpet.....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I found my brush stoppage after taking the steam vac apart! The Off-Lo-Hi switch had gotten pushed over to 0ff by a piece of furniture! Maybe you will be as blessed as me with this solution.

Reply to
Mr.Fixit

Went to turn it back on would not turn on. Help I it its the switch how do I fix it

Reply to
michellemartinezmm888

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com posted for all of us...

DAGS

Reply to
Tekkie®

It's been my experience that Hoover Steam Vacs are single use machines. After about 1 hour run time they start falling apart.

Reply to
Hugh Jass

My older (15 - 20 year old) consumer carpet cleaner has been repaired by me a few times. First to replace/remove dried out internal hoses. The brush problem on mine is mechanical. The brushes don't turn unless the upper part of the machine is dropped down and pushes against a plastic arm that engages the brushes. As time wears on that plastic arm and the plastic housing that holds it in place tends to bow out with the physical stress of pressing against the arm, preventing the brushes from engaging. You can manually push the arm yourself and enable the brushes if needed, otherwise time for a new machine.

Reply to
Steve Stone

thehooversteam vacs have issues with certain carpet shampoos that somehow attack the brush so it doesnt turn well. this told to me by their local service center.

they recommend ONLY using hoover shampoo

Reply to
bob haller

ROTFLMAO! Good one!

Reply to
Joe

replying to Scott, karen. blaylock wrote: Hi Scott the link you posted is no longer there wonder if you could repost it.

Reply to
karen. blaylock

No cooties?

Reply to
Tekkie?

replying to jvminnick, crisa wrote: can u please share this pictures. it's been a while i am having the same problem at this time.

Reply to
crisa

I have an older Hoover Steem Vac. There is a plastic lever in the bottom unit on the right side that activates the brushes when you lower the handle into an operating position. Over time the lever develops too much play in the plastic and no longer activates the brushes. You can manually activate the brushes by pushing the lever into the proper position with your hand.

Reply to
Steve Stone

replying to Scott, neelie wrote:

neelie