Hoover Steam Vac, brushes stopped - repair/service manual?

Page 1 of 2

I borrowed my in-laws Hoover Steam Vac (Dual V widepath, model F7426-900)... Well, I know for a fact that this is the 3rd one they have had, as the first 2 were returned for leaks and other problems. Anyhow, I digress...
Here's the problem, the machine powers on but the brushes won't spin. When I first turned it on, they were spinning very slowly and I heard a grinding sound, like there were broken plastic pieces inside.
I do not want to take this thing to a Hoover service center and probably spend more in repairs than the unit is worth. So, before I tear into this thing I wanted to have a repair manual to look through... NOT the owner's manual, but a service manual with exploded views and part numbers. I want to know how to disassemble the unit properly, rather than just unscrewing an pulling on things.
Does anyone know where Hoover publishes these manuals? They must have them somewhere.
Thanks,
Scott

They are likely on the hoover web site. Try:
http://www.hoover.com/db/hvrCustomer.asp
on that page is a place to put in model & serial for manuals, parts & information. Or try customer service @ 330-499-9499.
--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353

Trust me, this is the first place I went... what a joke! They do have the users manual online, which is completely worthless. Their idea of a replacement part is cleaning solution.
Their parent company, Maytag, has a nice part lookup for appliances... it shows exploded views in great detail.
I don't know if Hoover just wants to force you to one of their service centers or what. All I know is that those repair manuals are somewhere; I just need to find someone to tell me where they are... Customer services will not tell me anything other than directing me to a service center.
I do know this... I will never by another Maytag or Hoover product again. I'll spare you the problems I had with my Maytag Neptune...
We are on our first one and we have a large house of carpeting. I suspect your in-laws abused it. Our has been trouble free for many years.

Art wrote:

OK, how does that response help??? I don't care that yours is fine... and no, its not from abuse, the thing is brand new (two uses).
After further digging, it turns out that Turbine Gear Assembly is bad... I found one on eBay for 20.00, so it's worth repairing, but I still think the thing is poorly made. However, it does clean well.
nesschap had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Hoover-Steam-Vac-brushes-stopped-repair-service-manua-158704-.htm :
Scott wrote:

------------------------------------- Scott..you wrote quite a few years back but am hoping you see this. I believe I have the same problem but where did you get the instructions to take the steam vac apart to replace the turbine gear assembly..I am sure that is what it is..thanks for any help..
sclma had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Hoover-Steam-Vac-brushes-stopped-repair-service-manua-412196-.htm : I'm not Scott but have been trying to find a repair manual to fix my machine for over 1 yr. I read through all of these and Scott posted a link to some photos (had to read each post but it's there) he took of it all apart. I've looked over all the pieces and none of mine are bad but the bearing was very dry so I added some oil to it and now it's working just fine. I had a very difficult time finding out how to take the stupid thing apart to look in and finally found the places I was missing. One the bottom of the machine you will find 4 screws in the clear plastic piece and then just above that deep on either side on the gray piece are 2 screws (very deep easy to miss but on the far outsides near the clear plastic piece) When you turn it over with all the containers off of it and look straight down at the mid section of the gray piece you will see 1 screw in the middle. You will have to pull hard to get the gray piece off as the two skinny ends snap in tight. Be careful so you don't loose the little spring on the part that scott shows in his photos. Also, I had 2 of the black clips on that piece break so am hoping that nothing further deveops from that. It's working fine now though but it does take some time and looking at his photos to get the piece back on the correct way.
nesschap wrote:

------------------------------------- sclma
replying to Art, Mr.Fixit wrote:

I found my brush stoppage after taking the steam vac apart! The Off-Lo-Hi switch had gotten pushed over to 0ff by a piece of furniture! Maybe you will be as blessed as me with this solution.
Went to turn it back on would not turn on. Help I it its the switch how do I fix it
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com posted for all of us...

DAGS
--
Tekkie

It's been my experience that Hoover Steam Vacs are single use machines. After about 1 hour run time they start falling apart.
On 7/13/2016 8:48 PM, Hugh Jass wrote:
My older (15 - 20 year old) consumer carpet cleaner has been repaired by me a few times. First to replace/remove dried out internal hoses. The brush problem on mine is mechanical. The brushes don't turn unless the upper part of the machine is dropped down and pushes against a plastic arm that engages the brushes. As time wears on that plastic arm and the plastic housing that holds it in place tends to bow out with the physical stress of pressing against the arm, preventing the brushes from engaging. You can manually push the arm yourself and enable the brushes if needed, otherwise time for a new machine.
On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 9:04:01 PM UTC-4, Hugh Jass wrote:

thehooversteam vacs have issues with certain carpet shampoos that somehow attack the brush so it doesnt turn well. this told to me by their local service center.
they recommend ONLY using hoover shampoo
On 07/14/2016 07:58 PM, bob haller wrote:

ROTFLMAO! Good one!
***UPDATE***
I found the problem and took the time to document it with some pictures:
http://www.sacreativeservices.com/forum_stuff/steam_vac /
Hopefully this will help someone else that encounters the same problem.
Later,
Scott
Scott wrote:

replace some of the parts. I just started to remove screws until I got to the brushes. Parts were sold by local Hoover parts guy.
Don't you just love plastic, high stress gears? I realise this post is no help now that you found the problem. But, don't be suprised when it breaks again. I found with that particular machine it works fine and for a long time on very short carpet but trying to clean anything with any kind of length to it seems to put to much stress on the pos plastic parts and they crack, break or strip all the teath. Chuck B. wrote:

My carpet is short. Maybe that explains why it works well. We rented a Rug Doctor with vibration to do my parents. That seemed to do a decent job too. Might be better for some since it has to be made to stand up to abuse.

Thanks Scott, just made a .pdf of your pictures for to file for future use future ref in case my Hoover Cleaner goes south.

these pictures were incredibly helpful. i could not not figure out how to get the cover off until I saw these photos (i could see what screws he had been removed and which he had not; that allowed me to figure out how to take it off without breaking something).
before you replace or disassemble the turbine, check the spring that connects to the on/off switch. you have to remove the cover to see this.
as it turns out, my problem was not the brush turbine -- a spring had come loose on the brushes' on/off switch (see right side of Scott's first photo).
the way the turbine works is that the on/off switch opens and closes a little door that controls wind from the vacuum. when the switch is in the 'on' position, the little door is open, allowing wind to go inside the turbine and turn the gears inside, and they in turn cause the brushes to spin. in my case, the spring came loose, the little door stayed closed, and no wind got in no matter how much i played with the switch on the outside. the whole thing is actually a pretty simple construction.
i did put some grease and WD40 on the inside of the turbine, which had started to rust a little.
my model is a steamvac 7431-900.
good luck, and thanks again Scott for taking the time to post pictures. could not have done it without you and you probably saved me a bundle in repair costs.