Hooray for Mom&Pop

I'd stopped going to my local ACE Hardware because the clerks tend to hover and follow you around.
But, when the bracket for a drawer-guide broke, I decided to give them a shot.
I walked in with glide in hand, found the nearest "red vest", and said.."I need to fix this"
He didn't even flinch ! Led me to the right rack in the right aisle. Picked a unit off the hook... "Here's a universal replacement"
PERFECT ! A one-stop solution. Saved lots of drivng, searching, and frustration.
( they still hover..... )
<rj>

It is a fine line between being there to help, or to make you feel you are being watched so you don't shoplift.
Some days I like to browse and take my time deciding on the 29 blue widget or the $2 chrome one. Today, I went to Staples and a sales person offered to help. I knew exactly what I wanted but was not sure where they were. I was out of the store in two minutes with my items, two of which were on closeout that he pointed out to me.
He also gave me a good tip. While walking to the front of the store, I mentioned that I bought five 4 line phones last week, but two had to be returned as defective. Not a good track record. He suggested buying a service policy for $10, then I could return any one of the phones in the next year. That was a good deal.
The phones are in our temporary offices though, and I certainly hope we are back in a few weeks. This is why we had to move http://www.telegram.com/article/20070722/NEWS/707220485/1116
"<RJ>" wrote:

Our local ACE hardware affiliate has employees that crack jokes behind your back when you refuse to interact with them.
I go to Home Depot now, and shop in peace. If I want my hand held I'll ask for it.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

Around here I go to Ace if I need help. HD is cheaper but the help is clueless.